- Food and Cooking
Make your own flavored water at home
Our body is composed of 60% water. Though 60% of our body is made of water, we have to regularly keep hydrating ourselves with liquid intake to ensure that the body continues to function properly.That is because, we lose water from our body through sweat, urine, bowel movements and breath.
Why is water necessary for our body?
- It provides oxygen and nutrients to our body cells.
- It energizes the body so that we don't feel tired.
- It flushes out the toxins collected in the vital organs.
In short, Water makes a healthy body.
How do you hydrate your body?
In general we are advised to drink approximately 2 to 3 liters of water per day. However, drinking plain water is a pain. Your taste buds might curse you. If you are going for the flavored water brands and juices available in the market, added sugars and thereby calories come as a package deal. It compromises on the benefits of hydrating your body.
That being said, Is there a way to make our own flavored water at home which is healthy and tasty at the same time? Of course there are multiple ways. I will discuss a couple of them in this hub.
The secret ingredients in these two water mixes are, "Cumin seeds" and "Cloves" respectively. Many Indians would probably know of the medicinal qualities of these spices.
For those who are new to them, here you go:
Medicinal qualities of Cumin Seeds:
1. It improves our ability to digest food fast and good - Improves metabolism.
2. It cleans our body of any toxins without side effects.
3. It helps in fighting cold and flu.
4. It helps to improve the overall immune system of the body.
Medicinal qualities of Cloves:
Cloves is not a seed. It is a dried flower bud of a plant.
1. Treats upset stomach, vomiting and diarrhea.
2. Prevents gas formation in the gastrointestinal tract. No more flatulence.
3. Facilitates expulsion of previously formed gas.
4. Improves Muscle strength.
- Where to buy this seed? You would see this seed in any Indian or Asian market.
- How is the water prepared ? Boiling the water with the seeds.
- How does the water taste? Mildly sweet.
Recipe 1 - Cumin water
- In a large vessel measure and pour the amount of water you might drink till noon.( typically half a day)
- Add the black cumin seeds to the water. The ratio of the water to seeds I use is 1 teaspoon of cumin seeds to 2 litres of water.
- Bring the water to a boil. Don't add a lid to the vessel when it is boiling. The seeds will start to emit a pale yellow color into the water. Don't panic. It is nothing poisonous. It is just the healthy enzyme from the seeds dissolving in the water.
- When the color of the water turns pale yellow, switch off the fire and let the water cool down to a warm temperature. By now, the seeds would have settled down to the bottom of the vessel.
- Have one warm glass of the water at a time.
Recipe 2 : Clove Water
1. In a large vessel measure and pour the amount of water you might drink till noon. (typically half a day)
2. Add 1 clove per litre of water.
Follow steps 3 to 5 as explained in the recipe 1 above.
Notes for Cumin water
It is okay to eat the cumin seeds. If you get a few of those in the glass along with the water, just chew and swallow them.
The water doesn't taste bitter. However, the seeds may. If you don't like the taste of the seeds, ignore them and drink just the water.
- DO NOT chew or eat the Cloves. Doing so may cause your mouth to have a burning feel.
- Don't reboil the same seeds for the next preparation.
- Don't boil the water with a lid on. Doing so will cause the evaporated water vapour to condense back into the vessel which you don't want to mix up with the water.