- Food and Cooking»
- Quick & Easy Recipes
Airfryer - Cooking Tips And More
Positives & Negatives of an Airfryer
- Cooks quickly
- No need to keep an eye on the grill pan or frying pan
- Low in fat cooking, up to 80% less fat and calories
- Cooks food crisp and moist.
- Easy to clean, pop into the dishwasher or sink.
- So much less mess than deep or shallow frying, no oil splatters anywhere
- Even does crisp oven chips.
- Great for kids quick tea or lunch
- No oil to dispose of
- Cooking smell are reduced and no smoke alarms going off
- Not a very big basket, enough for two portions, some things have to be cooked in batches and kept warm, if you have a larger family
- A bit noisy maybe, I don't mind it, it is the fan, as it is air frying, it sounds a bit like an extractor fan on medium or high.
- It is bulky, if you have a small kitchen you may not want it on your side, and then you may forget to bring it out.
- More expensive than a deep fat fryer
How The Airfryer works
The Airfryer uses high-speed air circulation, with a top grill. Making the hot air circulate very rapidly around the ingredients in the basket. This heats up the ingredients in the basket from all sides at once, making it a healthy, fast and easy method to prepare tasty food. Food prepared in the Airfryer is deliciously crispy on the outside, without being dry on the inside.
It is that simple!
Airfryer Bacon Sandwich
Crispy Bacon Sandwich
- 6 Rashers Bacon, Dry Cured
- 4 Slices of white bread
- Heat the airfryer for 3 mins
- Once hot, put the bacon into the basket so it does not overlap. Cook for 10-12 minutes, check once and shake the basket
- Prepare your bread, tomato sauce if desired
- Once cooked you have two lovely crisp bacon sandwiches, cooked quickly with no mess and not having to keep checking the pan or grill
Crispy Bacon Sandwich
Inside the fryer
As you can see by the photo on the right, the basket fits inside another unit, which helps the air to circulate around the basket.
Both of these parts can go into the sink to soak or into the dishwasher, I have tried both and the dishwasher does a great job.
You can also buy a unit that fits into the basket for cooking liquids or baking cakes, muffins or buns, which I have not tried yet.
Quick Cook List
Time to cook
Shake the basket halfway through cooking
Fish - Oven Baked
10-15 mins from frozen
Again Check halfway through
6 mins from frozen
No added fat
lovely and chrisp
8-10 mins dep. on size
Check halfway through
The fat drips out of the basket
3-8 depending on type
Makes love roasted peppers
Peel the potaoes and cut into chips to your desired size, thick, thin, or crinkle.
Then soak the chips in water for 30 minutes, patting dry and then coating with a tablespoon of oil. I used olive oil and got nice results, so a much healther choice, although sunflower oil might make an even crisper chip.
Heat the fryer for 3-4 minutes to warm up.
Place into the fryer basket and cook for 20-22 minutes, depending on thickness and shaking halfway through the cooking.
It makes very crisp chips, with fuffy insides and not greasy at all.
They do need to be soaked for 30 minutes though, I did it without soaking and it was not a good outcome!
And of cause you can make crisps too, which I will be trying next!
Airfryer v Deepfat fryer
Which do you prefer?
Who would benefit from an Airfryer
- Anyone who does not like cleaning up greasy marks and disposing of used oil
- If you want to eat healthier but love the taste of fried food, this way of cooking reduces the calories by 70-80% and meat cooked like chicken, bacon, pork chops etc. the fat falls through the basket so the food it not lying in fat adding to the calories.
- Anyone who has not got a lot of time to cook
- If you live on your own, or cooking for one, you can cook small amounts of food really quickly. Such a oven baked fish and oven chips for one the fish and chips can go in the basket together they will cook together producing less washing up as you are only using one pan
- Great for young children's snacks and quick dinners
© 2016 Lavender Jade