- Food and Cooking»
- World Cuisines»
- Central American Cuisine
Albóndigas are Spanish or Latin American meatballs. The name is derived from the Arabic al-bunduq (meaning hazelnut, or, by extension, a small round object). Albóndigas are thought to have originated as a Berber or Arab dish imported to Spain during the period of Muslim rule. Spanish albóndigas can be served as an appetizer or main course, often in a tomato sauce, while Mexican albóndigas are commonly served in a soup with a light broth and vegetables.
Below I'll describe both versions of albóndigas recipe - Spanish and Mexican.
- Prep time: 30 min
- Cook time: 1 hour
- Ready in: 1 hour 30 min
- Yields: 8 portions
- 2 lbs ground beef
- 1.5 L beef broth
- 1.5 L chicken broth
- 1 onion
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/4 glass flour
- 1/4 glass rice
- 4 carrots
- 4 celery
- 2 chili peppers
- 1 pack spinach
Mexican Albondigas Recipe (Albondigas Soup Recipe)
- Chop medium-sized onion. Save several spoons of chopped onion for later (for meatballs).
- Mince garlic. Save portion of it for later as well.
- Slice celery and carrot.
- Cut peeled potato on cubes (approximately 1 inch each) so that there is approximately 5 glasses of cut potato.
- Chop cilantro (approximately 1/2 glass) and spinach (2.5 glasses).
- Add broth and 3 glasses of water in a big pan.
- Prepare albondigas (meatballs): add broth, flour, rice, chopped onion and minced garlic to ground beef. Add salt, a pinch of oregano and a bit ob ground cumin. Mix everything properly and form meatballs.
- Put meatballs into boiling water and cook on medium fire for 15 minutes.
- In 15 minutes add sliced vegetables and whole chili peppers (don't add spinach and cilantro yet). Cook for 45 minutes.
- 5 minutes before the dish is ready add spinach and cilantro.
- If you don't want the soup to be too spicy, take off chili peppers as soon as the soup is ready.
- 1 onion
- 4 cloves garlic
- 0.5 lbs ground beef
- 1 tbsp chopped oregano and dill
- 1 tsp paprica
- pinch of cumin
- olive oil
- 2 tomatoes
- 0.4 lbs rice
- chicken broth
- 1 tbsp white wine
- 0.2 lbs green beans
Spanish Albondigas Recipe
- Mix ground beef with half of chopped onion, 2 cloves of garlic, half of all spices.
- Fry little meatballs on olive oil, take them out as sson as they are ready.
- To the same frying pan add the remaining onion, garlic, spicesm then add rice, wine and pour broth.
- Stew for 10 minutes.
- Add green beans and meatballs and stew until the rice is ready (another 10 minutes).