Alien Pod Salad from Planet X
Alien Pod Salad is so ugly--but the taste is so good! This is what happens when I'm mucking about in the kitchen. We needed a salad, but we were out of lettuce. We did have some red cabbage, though, so I decided to use a combination I had never used before. The result was a fantastic dish that disappeared in a matter of minutes. Everyone had a second helping. I wish I had made more. This one is definitely a "keeper."
I decided to name it Alien Pod Salad from Planet X as an homage to the old sci-fi movies of the 1950's-1960's (and earlier). It definitely reminded me of some of the creatures from those movies. Some of them were really silly and some of them were really scary. I think the filmmakers did a great job back then...they didn't have all of the technology we have now. That meant that anything and everything was utilized for props or space creatures. Good on them!
- 12 ounces red cabbage, finely shredded
- 1 1/2-2 cups cucumbers (peeled), medium dice
- 1-2 cups cherry or grape tomatoes, cut in half or leave whole
- 2 Tablespoons salad oil
- 3 Tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 Tablespoons water
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Place your finely shredded red cabbage in a bowl. Season with salt and pepper. Toss. Season again. Add oil, toss. Add vinegar & water, toss.
- Add cucumbers, toss again. Add tomatoes, toss again.
- Enjoy your Alien Pod Salad from Planet X!
This recipe is super easy and fast. The key to the good flavor is in the order of the ingredients. Seasoning and tossing the cabbage first is a requirement. This distributes the seasonings and limits the damage to the cukes and tomatoes. The cucumbers will be dyed a light purple if you toss them for too long. That's okay, though. It just adds to the allure of this oddity!
Serve Alien Pod Salad with Beautiful Baked Chicken
- Beautiful Baked Chicken
This beautiful baked chicken recipe is a cross between roasted chicken and baked chicken. The recipe earned its name because of the fantastic results you get when you use this method to bake your chicken.