An Easy Recipe for Country Strata
Mother's Day Breakfast
My mother in law came over Sunday morning for a Mother's Day Breakfast. I wanted to make something that tasted good, was filling but wouldn't require me to wake up at 6am. I decided on Country Strata, a prepare ahead egg dish that has all the components you need for a filling and delicious breakfast.
- 12 ounces breakfast sausage, removed from casings
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 loaf country bread, day old or toasted in the oven
- 2 tomatoes, sliced
- 1 tbsp fresh rosemary, finely chopped
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup half & half
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 8 extra large eggs
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 4 cups fontina cheese, grated (should measure 4 cups after grating)
- Butter the bottom and sides of a 9"x13" baking dish.
- In a large skillet, break up the sausage and suate in the olive oil with the onion until the suasage is cooked and onion is translucent, about 10 minutes. Once done, allow to cool and drain out the excess oil.
- Meanwhile, cut the toasted or day old bread into cubes about 1" to 1 1/2" in size, set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the rosemary, heavy cream, half & half, eggs, salt and pepper.
- Layer half of the bread pieces in the baking dish. Sprinkle with half of the sausage/onion mixture, half of the tomato slices and half of the cheese. Repeat, layering with remaining bread, sausage/onion, tomato and cheese. Pour the egg mixture over the top. Cover and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes or over night.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Uncover the baking dish and place on a baking sheet. Bake 40-50 minutes (until golden brown on top). Remove from the oven and cover with aluminum foil for 10 minutes before serving.