A Homemade Easy and Tasty Chicken Biriyani: Kerala Style Recipe
Biriyani is a rice dish with masala being mixed all over the main ingredient and cooked along with rice to form a mixed rice dish. There is a lot of variety of Biriyani recipes that include vegetarian as well as non-vegetarian Biriyanis. Of all those, Chicken Biriyani is the most popularly made. If you are passionate about cooking, then this recipe is a must-try. So let us take a look at the simple recipe of Kerala Style Chicken Biriyani.
For the mix:
- 1 piece ginger, medium-sized
- 8 cloves garlic
- 1 green chili
For the biriyani:
- 4 cups basmati rice
- 3 pieces chicken, big pieces
- 6 cups hot water
- 2 onions, sliced
- mint leaves
- coriander leaves
- 1 piece cinnamon
- 1 cardamom
- 3 tablespoons ghee
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 tablespoon red chili powder
- 2 tablespoons coriander powder
- 1 teaspoon black pepper powder
- 1 teaspoon garam masala powder
- 1 tomato, big pieces
- as per taste salt
- 10 cashew nuts
- 12 raisins
- coriander leaves
- Grind the ingredients for the mix well, which includes ginger, garlic, and green chili, to form a thick paste and keep it aside.
- Add two tablespoons of ghee to a biriyani pot and when hot, add a piece of cinnamon and cardamom and saute. Both these ingredients add extra flavor to the Biriyani.
- Add the thick paste kept aside earlier to the pot and saute well to get rid of the raw smell, especially of garlic. This takes about two minutes.
- Now add the sliced onions to this mixture, and add a teaspoon of salt and saute well. Continue sauteing till onion turns slightly brown.
- Now add turmeric powder, red chili powder, coriander powder, black pepper powder, and garam masala and saute well. Mix thoroughly to form an even mixture of all the curry powders.
- To this, add tomato pieces and some salt. Adding salt depends on the taste buds and the amount of salt you add each time.
- To the mixture, add chicken pieces and spread the mixture evenly throughout the chicken pieces.
- Now add basmati rice. Basmati Rice is a variety of rice used to make Biriyanis. You may opt for any rice that is suitable to make Biriyanis. To this, add a sufficient amount of hot water.
- Now, add mint and coriander leaves. Also, add some more salt if necessary and close it with a lid until well cooked.
- While Biriyani gets cooked, add one tablespoon of ghee to a hot pan and roast cashew nuts and raisins.
- Once cooked, garnish it with some coriander leaves and roasted cashew nuts and raisins. Chicken Biriyani is now ready to eat. Happy eating!!
Different Stages of Preparation
Rate the Recipe
Preparation of Chicken Biriyani
This content is accurate and true to the best of the author’s knowledge and is not meant to substitute for formal and individualized advice from a qualified professional.
© 2020 Heera