- Food and Cooking»
- Starter & Snack Recipes
Cauliflower Manchurian (Gobi Manchurian) Recipe
- 5 cups cauliflower, florets cut into medium size pieces
- 1/2 cup spring onion, chopped
- 2 inches ginger, finely chopped
- 12 big cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 3 green chili, finely chopped or 2 tsp chili sauce
- 5-6 tbsp plain flour / maida, for the batter
- 4 tbsp corn flour, for the batter, 1 tbsp for the gravy
- oil, for deep frying and for the gravy
- 1/2 tsp red chili powder, for the batter
- salt, as per taste
- 3 tsp soy sauce, for the gravy
- 2 tbsp tomato sauce, for the gravy
Step-by step Instructions of Making Cauliflower Manchurian
- Separate the cauliflower florets. Immerse in warm salt water for 10 minutes. This step is to to make it free from worms. Wash the florets with fresh water. Make uniform size pieces.
2. In a mixing bowl, take plain flour, corn flour, red chili powder, and salt. Add water. Mix thoroughly to form flowing consistency batter.
3. Dip the cauliflower pieces in the batter, fry them in medium hot oil till they turn crispy. Don't fry for a longer time. It takes about 5-6 minutes for frying one batch. Fry all the cauliflower pieces. Keep aside.
4. Mix one tbsp corn flour in half cup water. This is for the gravy. Keep aside.
5. Heat a wide kadhai / pan. Pour 2 tbsp oil. Saute the chopped garlic, ginger, green chili (or chili paste/sauce) and 80% of the chopped spring onion. Saute till it starts emitting nice flavor. Add soy sauce and tomato sauce. Stir the mix continuously. Let the fire be high. Now add corn flour mix, salt, and the remaining spring onion. Mix well. This is the gravy.
6. Add the fried cauliflower to the kadhai. Press and mix well, to ensure that each floret gets coated with the gravy. Put off the fire. Hot and yummy Cauliflower Manchurian is ready to serve. Enjoy the taste!!
- I chopped ginger, garlic and green chili in a chopper. I used this mix for making the Manchurian. The aroma of the fresh spices was fantastic.
- You can store Manchurian in an airtight container, for later use. You have to reheat it while eating. It remains fresh for 2 days.
- This snack should be spicier to get the best taste. It is a popular starter snack of all times, a dish loved by all.
- You can make Manchurian, in the same way, using broccoli, mixed vegetables etc.
- Before adding salt in the final stage of cooking, check for the salt taste. Note that the soy sauce and the tomato sauce already contain salt.
- Observe that I have not used any tastemaker in this snack. In restaurants, they add tastemaker to get an enhanced taste. My experience says, the generous use of the fresh herbs imparts fantastic taste to this starter snack.
Some Information on the Potential Health Benefits of Eating Cauliflower
- Cauliflower belongs to the cruciferous family, considered as a healthy and tasty vegetable.
- Cooked cauliflower provides potential cardiovascular benefits.
- It helps in regulating blood cholesterol level in the body.
- Cauliflower is a rich source of vitamin C, vitamin K, protein, thiamin, riboflavin, niacin, magnesium, phosphorus, fiber, vitamin B6, folate, pantothenic acid, potassium, and manganese. All these nutrients are needed for the human good health.
|Serving size: 249 g|
|Calories from Fat||135|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 15 g||23%|
|Saturated fat 2 g||10%|
|Carbohydrates 35 g||12%|
|Sugar 12 g|
|Fiber 7 g||28%|
|Protein 5 g||10%|
|Cholesterol 0 mg|
|Sodium 843 mg||35%|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|