- Food and Cooking»
- Dessert Recipes
Angel Food Cake and Mixed Berry Trifle
Recipe Courtesy of Patrick and Gina Neely
As in the title, this recipe is one of Patrick and Gina Neely, from the Food Network channel. I changed just a few minor things.
Trifles are something anyone can make, even if you swear you can't bake. There is no baking involved, just putting together different ingredients. This is just one recipe, there are a thousand different ways you can do this.
The only thing is I wouldn't take it on a picnic unless you have a really great cooler that will keep it cold. It's good for your family or friends or even to take to someone's house where you have been invited for dinner or potluck at your church. There isn't anything in here that someone wouldn't like. And, this particular recipe is a healthy one, which you will see in the recipe.
So you young gals, if you want to impress your sweetheart or his family and you think you can't bake, try this and you will be a hit. I promise.
Photos of Trifle
This recipe is mostly fat free but you can add 2% Greek yogurt if you like and you can change the fruit, but these seem to work out the best and look so pretty.
If your family absolutely does not like Angel Food cake then you can opt for pound cake.
- 5 cups fresh strawberries, hulled, and sliced
- 6 oz. container fresh blueberries
- 6 oz. container fresh raspberries
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 4 cups Vanilla Greek Yogurt, fat free
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/4 cup confectioner's sugar (10X)
- 1 (17oz.) store-bought angel food cake
- Add the berries to a bowl with the sugar and orange juice and lit it set at room temperature for 15 to 20 minutes, until juices start to flow.
- Meanwhile, add the yogurt and honey to a bowl. Stir with a spoon to mix in the honey and 10X sugar so the mixture will be more spreadable.
- Cut or break apart the angel food cake into large chunks and add about 1/3 of the cake to the bottom of a medium trifle dish. (I don't have one so I just used a clear glass bowl). Add a layer of the berries, then a layer of the yogurt mixture and repeat the layers reserving some of the yogurt for the top.
- Finish the top with a few spoonfuls of yogurt in the center and decorate as you like.
- Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until chilled, at least 1 hour or up to overnight. Enjoy!