- Food and Cooking»
- Quick & Easy Recipes
Annie's Joe's special
Occasionally, when my mother didn't feel like cooking during the week, we would load into the car and go to a little Italian restaurant in a small shopping center called West Portal in San Francisco. The tiny eatery was called West Portal Joe's and aside from nostalgic memories, one thing has remained a staple in our recipe library; Joe's Special.
The eggs hold the meat and spinach together. I usually use only two, but if you want a firmer dish add the additional eggs.
We garnish generously with grated Parmesan cheese, but my dad loved his with ketchup ...
If you try it, let me know!
- 2 - 4 eggs, beaten
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 ten ounce package frozen spinach, thawed and well drained
- 1 cup fresh mushrooms, chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- ½ teaspoon dried basil
- ¼ teaspoon dried oregano
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- to taste salt & pepper
- 1 - 2 T olive oil
- 1 T butter
- Parmesan cheese, grated to garnish
- Saute ground beef in oil and butter until crumbled and no longer pink.
- Add onions, garlic, and mushroom and cook until onions have wilted, but not browned.
- Add the spinach and herbs and heat through.
- Add beaten eggs to the ground beef and spinach mixture and stir until set.
- Salt & Pepper to taste.
- Serve with a sprinkling of grated Parmesan cheese!