- Food and Cooking»
- Breakfast Recipes
Apple Pancake Breakfast
Apple picking season is in full swing, and now is the time to find creative recipes to get to the bottom of the bushel! Here is an easy pancake recipe for a delicious fall weekend, and you probably already have all the ingredients on hand! Any type of apple will do, so use your favorite. Just remember, as they begin to soften, don't move them around in the fry pan, or it may turn into an applesauce pancake!
I prefer to cook this in a cast iron fry pan. Once seasoned, it almost develops a non stick surface, and allows for even heating, which creates a delicious caramelized effect with the apples, butter and brown sugar. Cast iron is very inexpensive, and virtually indestructible, and can be passed on from generation to generation if the seasoning is maintained. It should be a staple in everyone's kitchen.
- 3 large apples, peeled, cored and sliced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 cup complete pancake mix
- 3/4 cup milk
- 2 eggs, separated
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- maple syrup
- Preheat oven to 350F. Melt butter in a medium heavy bottom fry pan, preferably cast iron, over medium heat. Add apples.
- Meanwhile whisk pancake mix and milk in a large bowl until just combined.
- Separate eggs, and add yolks to pancake mix. Add vanilla. Gently whisk to combine.
- In a separate bowl, whisk egg whites until white and frothy.
- Add brown sugar and cinnamon to apple mixture in fry pan. Once apples start to get soft, try not to move them around in pan. Apples will cook for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Gently fold egg whites into pancake batter. Pour over apples in fry pan. Heat on stove for 2 to 3 minutes, then transfer to oven.
- Bake for 20 to 30 minutes, until golden brown on top, and toothpick comes out clean.
- Let sit for a couple of minutes, then cut into wedges and turn out slices onto plates. Serve with maple syrup. Enjoy!
Step by Step Photos
- Christmas Bacon- a Sweet and Spicy Treat
This bacon recipe makes a great partner to the apple pancake.
- Pineapple Upside Down French Toast- A Make Ahead Brunch Recipe
If you enjoy this recipe, you may like to try this one. It uses pineapple instead, but has similar flavors.