Apple Pie Baked Dumplings (wontons)
What is better than a homemade apple pie?
Freshly made apple pie.... what could be better? I big chunk of cheddar cheese and a little homemade whipped cream along with a slice of warm apple pie can warm anyone heart. I refuse to ever make an apple pie with canned filling; it's not my fault, I grew up with my grandmother and mother baking from scratch. Unfortunately as much I love homemade apple pie, I only make it a few times a year. This includes the holiday season and usually the beginning of fall when there is a fresh harvest locally. I love anything apple, but of course my fiancé it more of a pumpkin pie fan. Well that is easy, so he gets those pies much more frequently than my apple pie. So I had this brilliant idea when I was in the veggie aisle looking for vegan cheese. I happened to look over and see a package of wonton wrappers, and a little farther in the distance bright juicy apples. After buying the ingredients, I went home and looked online to see what others had done (apparently my ah-ha moment was a little late to the show on this one). Although they all looked really good, I decided to come up with my own recipe, mostly due to lack of ingredients. These come out with freshly baked apple pie filling in the center, and an amazing crunchy wonton with a hint of cinnamon and sugar on top.
Apple Pie - Dessert in a Wonton
Apple Pie Filling Ingredients (yields 22-24 Baked Dumplings)
- 1 Large Baking Apple cored, cut up and minced
- 1 Tablespoon Cinnamon
- 1 Teaspoon Ground Clove
- ¼ Cup Sugar
- 2 Tablespoons Butter
- 1 Tablespoon All Purpose Flour
- 20-24 Wonton Wrappers
- Water (to seal the wonton wrappers)
- 2 Tablespoons Sugar
- 2 Teaspoons Cinnamon
(mix together and sprinkle on the dumplings with they first come out of the oven)
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees
- Lightly grease a baking sheet
- Mix together the cinnamon, ground clove, sugar and flour together,
- Cut in the butter with a table fork
- Add the minced apple and mix together until all of the apples are evenly coated
- Lay the wontons out and put about a tablespoon of the filling in the center.
- With your finger, lightly coat the outside of the wonton wrappers with water
- Fold the wonton over and seal completely.
- Spray then on the top lightly with cooking spray
- Bake for 8-10 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Sprinkle the sugar topping evenly over all of the baked apple pie wontons.
- Serve and enjoy!
** This tastes amazing dipped in vanilla ice cream, or served with a cheese platter.