Arroz Valenciana Recipe
Dish Influenced by Spaniards
A typical Filipino meal is not complete without the presence of rice in the dining table. Because Filipinos are fond of eating rice, one of their favourite foods served during special events and celebrations is arroz valenciana.
Arroz valenciana is basically a rice dish which consists of meat either chicken or pork, green peas and other vegetables. It is a Latin-American food and was influenced by Spaniards which named it as arroz ala valenciana and Portuguese which named it as arroz à valenciana.
Here’s how to prepare the said rice dish:
You will need:
× ¼ cup cooking oil
× 1 cup white rice (uncooked)
× 1 cup sticky rice/ malagkit (uncooked)
× 1 cup green peas
× 5 cups water
× ¼ kilogram pork (cut into cubes)
× 1 piece boiled egg (unshelled)
× 1 piece carrot (sliced)
× 1 piece onion (minced)
× 1 piece red bell pepper (sliced)
× 2 pieces chicken meat (cut into cubes)
× 4 pieces chicken broth cubes
× 4 pieces garlic (minced)
× 2 pieces potatoes (sliced)
× 1 teaspoon paprika
× 1 tablespoon annatto oil
× 2 tablespoon tomato paste
Here’s how to cook:
1. Place the chicken broth cubes into a bowl with enough water. Stir and set aside.
2. Pour some cooking oil into a frying pan and the fire should be set into medium heat.
3. Fry the pork and chicken meat. Wait until it turns brown all over and set aside.
4. Pour in some annatto oil into the frying pan and sauté garlic and onion.
5. Add the tomato paste, the uncooked sticky rice/ malagkit and white rice, and the broth that you set aside earlier.
6. Cover and let it boil for about 5 to 10 minutes. Make sure that the rice combination is not totally cooked.
7. Pour in the fried pork and chicken eat that you set aside then add the vegetables such as potatoes, carrot and the paprika.
8. Cover again and wait until the rice is completely cooked.
9. Sprinkle the green peas, bell pepper, egg, and raisins.
10. Turn off the heat and it’s ready to serve!
MORE FILIPINO FOOD RECIPES HERE:
- filipinofoods on HubPages
I'm a restaurant owner in Manila, Philippines. Cooking Filipino foods and other Asian dishes is my passion. I am proud of Filipino culture and have...