Best Soup Recipes: Quick And Easy Asian Chicken And Asparagus Soup Recipe
Chicken and Asparagus Soup
Asian soups are some of the most flavorful soups I have discovered and are so satisfying. Most of the Asian soups I make are likewise some of the easiest soups ever in terms of time to make and simple in terms of necessary ingredients.
There are also many things you can substitute in an Asian soup because oftentimes the base for the soup is a clear broth.
Asian soups make an excellent first course for a dinner of Asian entrees or if you want to use just the soup for dinner and find that it is too light, adding any variety of cooked Asian noodles rounds off the soup beautifully and thus makes it a bit more filling. Try many of the different varieties of Asian soup, spicy and non-spicy. There are so many to experience and the rewards are many in terms of taste. The Asian diet is also well known for its health benefits. For another tasty soup, try Japanese clear soup.
- 1 boneless chicken breast (about 5 ounces) skinned
- 1 teaspoon egg white or egg white substitute
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch paste (see below)
- 1/2 bunch fresh asparagus (about 4 ounces)
- 3 cups chicken broth
- Salt and black pepper if desired
- Cilantro if desired
- Cut chicken into thin slices each about size of a stamp.
- Mix with pinch of salt, then add egg white and finally the cornstarch paste.
- Discard the tough stem part of asparagus and cut the tender parts/spears diagonally into short pieces.
- Bring the chicken broth in wok to a rolling boil.
- Add asparagus and bring back to boil. Cook for 2 minutes.
- Add chicken and stir to separate. Bring back to a boil.
- Adjust the seasoning to taste.
- Serve hot with cilantro on top for garnish
- 4 parts dry cornstarch
- 5 parts cold water
If you used 4 teaspoons cornstarch, you would use 5 teaspoons cold water. Mix together and you have your paste. Increase or repeat to add additional thickening if desired.
Add-Ins and Substitutions
You can also substitute or add some of the following
- Substitute turkey breast
- Substitute or add shrimp
- Substitute or add broccoli
- Substitute or add spinach leaves
- Substitute or add matchstick carrots
- Add in some finely sliced mushrooms
- Add in some finely diced green onions
- Any kind of Asian cooked noodle cut into small pieces makes a delicious addition if a full-bodied soup is desired for other than a first course