- Food and Cooking»
- Main Dish & Side Dish Recipes
Authentic Thai Cashew Chicken Recipe
Fusion Dish with an Interesting Story
Cashew chicken is a popular fusion dish (Chinese-American Cuisine). Chicken meat is either fried or stir-fried with cashew nuts in a thick oyster-based sauce.
In 1963, David Leong served the first cashew chicken dish at Leong's Tea House in Springfield, Missouri, USA. Leong moved to the United States from China in 1940, and since then he had been searching for an Asian-influenced dish that could please local residents. Leong succeeded because his cashew chicken dish is popular all over the Springfield area and is often mentioned as the unofficial ‘dish of the city.'
The cashew chicken dish maybe world famous but it is an authentic dish all over Asia. Every Asian country has different recipes for the cashew chicken. Here's a genuine one from Thailand.
- Heat oil in non-stick pan over medium heat, sauté onion and yellow bell pepper until tender.
- Stir in ketchup, oyster sauce, soy sauce, chicken broth, sugar, and chili paste.
- Add chicken, succhini, squash, broccoli, and mushrooms.
- Simmer and stir for 10 minutes, or until vegetables are tender. Top with cashew nuts before serving.
- For a vegetarian version: Substitute chicken with firm tofu. Lightly fry tofu cubes before sautéing.
Authentic Thai Cashew Chicken
This spicy veggie-chicken dish is a perfect topping over jasmine rice. Yields 4 servings.
- 1 tablespoon of canola oil
- 1 piece of large yellow onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 piece of large yellow bell pepper, coarsely chopped
- 3 tablespoons of ketchup, or as needed
- 2 tablespoons of oyster sauce, or to taste
- 1 tablespoon of soy sauce, or to taste
- 1/3 cup of chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon of white sugar, or to taste
- 1 teaspoon of Thai garlic chili paste
- 4 pieces of chicken breast halves, skinless and boneless - cut into 2-inch cubes
- 1 piece of zucchini, coarsely chopped
- 1 piece of yellow squash, coarsely chopped
- 6 ounces of broccoli, coarsely chopped
- 8 ounces of fresh mushrooms, quartered
- ½ cup of unsalted cashew nuts