- Food and Cooking»
- Starter & Snack Recipes
Autumn Apple Trail Mix
Making your own trail mix is easy and allows for customization. Unfortunately, sometimes no matter what combination of things you mix, there's always the child who will eat around the fruit. This trail mix hides the fruit in the granola, so little ones get some fruit in their bodies without realizing it.
- 3 cups Rolled Oats
- 2.5 oz bag Apple Chips
- 3 tbsp Light Brown Sugar
- 1/2 tsp Cinnamon
- 1/3 cup Honey
- 1/4 cup Vegetable Oil
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1 cup M&Ms
- 1 cup Peanuts
- Open the bag of Apple Chips slightly, allowing air to get out, then lightly crush the chips using your hand.
- Completely open the bag and separate half a cup of Apple Chips to finely chop in a food processor.
- In a large bowl, combine the Granola, chopped Apple Chips, Brown Sugar, Cinnamon and a dash of Salt. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, combine Honey, Vegetable Oil and Vanilla Extract. Pour liquid mixture into dry mixture and stir until well mixed.
- Evenly place granola on a parchment-lined cookie sheet and bake for 15 min. at 300 degrees.
- Stir the granola, then place back in the oven until golden brown, about 10 min.
- Carefully lift the parchment with cooked granola off the cookie sheet and transfer to a cooling rack. Let the granola cool for 15-20 min., stirring occassionally.
- Pour the granola into a resealable container and fold in the M&Ms, Peanuts and remainder of the Apple Chips. Snack in 1/2 cup servings.