Avocado Shake Recipe with Mint Leaves (Vegetarian)
Best Green Smoothie
This is a very simple and tasty creation that is perfect for those hot days sitting by the pool. This refreshing shake is light yet makes for an excellent meal replacement when you don't want a heavy meal.
If you are a busy person who often times skips breakfast this is a great shake for you. You can prepare entire recipe before-hand so when you rush off to work in the morning you can take the shake with you. This shake is loaded with vitamins, minerals and antioxidants which are an excellent way to start off your day.
Health Benefits of Avocado
Avocados are a great source for monounsaturated fats and antioxidants like lutein, which many people believe can help keep up healthy eyesight. These healthy monounsaturated fats will help your body absorb crucial vitamins like vitamins A, D, E and K. which all play a role in keeping your skin looking young and reducing inflammation. Not only will avocados help you stay looking young, but they are a great source of minerals that many other foods don't offer. For example, avocado is a great source for potassium which is good for helping with heart functionality. Avocado also has a significant amount of fiber which is beneficial to your digestive system.
Avocado Shake Recipe
How to Cut an Avocado
- First you need to cut the avocado length wise. As you do this you will feel the hard pit in the middle.
- Once you have your knife on the pit, turn the fruit while the knife is still in it. This will allow you cut the entire fruit length wise with the pit in it.
- You should now have two parts; one with the pit and one without. Now pry the pit out of the one piece and discard it.
- Now it is time to remove the edible portion from the skin. Take a large spoon and slip it between the bright green, edible portion and the dark, green skin. Gently pry or scoop the fruit out of the skin.
- 1/2 Avocado
- 1 Cup of Low-Fat Yogurt
- 8 Mint Leaves
- 1 TBS Honey
- 1/2 a Lime, Juice Only
- 6-8 Ice Cubes
- 3 inches of a Cucumber
- Prep your ingredients, by roughly cutting your cucumber and mint. Remove the skin from the avocado as well, if you do not know how to prep an avocado I have left instructions to the right.
- Take a blender and add your yogurt, honey, cucumber, mint and avocado.
- Cut your lime in half and squeeze all the juice into the mixture.
- Pulse the mixture a few times to get the blending started. Then add your ice cubes. If you have a powerful blender you can add the ice cubes when you added the yogurt and other ingredients. I add them later since my blender sometimes struggles with mixtures that don't have enough liquid. I have provided a few tips on using a blender below.
- Blend the mixture until you are happy with the consistency. If you prefer your shake to be less thick just add some extra water and blend again.
- Pour your healthy avocado shake into your favorite glass and enjoy!
|Serving size: 610 g|
|Calories from Fat||162|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 18 g||28%|
|Saturated fat 5 g||25%|
|Carbohydrates 51 g||17%|
|Sugar 37 g|
|Fiber 8 g||32%|
|Protein 17 g||34%|
|Cholesterol 15 mg||5%|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|
Green Smoothie Ideas
If you enjoy this avocado shake I encourage you to try other green smoothies. Green Smoothies are a great way to ensure proper nutrition and can help you lose weight. It is easy to create your own recipes if you follow this simple rule; when making your smoothie make sure you use about 60% fruit to 40% Vegetables. This ration will help ensure that you are getting all the minerals and nutrients that vegetables have to offer, but will cover the taste with the sweet yet healthy fruit flavors.
Water / Ice Cubes
Most fruits will work.
As always these are just a few ideas to get you started. I suggest you get creative with your ingredients and remember to follow the 60/40 rule that I mentioned above.
Tips for Blending in Blender
If you are not fortunate enough to own a high-quality blender like a Vitamix Blender you probably know the struggles of using a basic blender. If you are using an affordable blender that is less than top of the line you know how a simple recipe like this can quickly become a difficult task. Here are a few quick tips to make things a bit easier:
- Adding water to the mixture is the easiest solution. The more water you add to your blender the better your blender will work. The water basically helps to get things moving around.
- Don't be afraid to stop the blender and use a spoon to move the bottom of the mixture to the top. This will help get things moving. Do not put a spoon in the blender while it is on. If your blender came with a mixer that is designed to poke through the top of the cover use that while the blender is on. Never put your hands in a blender that is turned on.
- Always start at a low speed and gradually work your way up to the faster speeds.
- Pulse your mixture in the beginning. As the mixture blends you can start to leave the blender on for longer periods of time.
If you have a high-end or commercial grade blender many of these tips won't be needed. These tips are aimed towards those who may have a basic blender at home.