- Food and Cooking
BBQ And BBQ Sauce
Please Vote In Our Poll
What is your favorite meat to use for barbecue.
Barbecue is big business in the south. There are almost as many ideals of what makes good barbecue as there are BBQ restaurants around the southern USA. Tens of thousands of southerners consider themselves the worlds best BBQ Chef and their are contests all over the south that give huge cash prizes and trophy's for the best BBQ. Some people argue that Chicken is the best while others swear it is Pork , Pork Ribs , Beef Brisket or some other cut of Beef. Its also made from armadillos , alligators and more. I myself think its a close race between chicken and pork ribs. How about you?
Some say it has to be accompanied by BBQ Slaw and some say it has to be Southern Cole Slaw. Most though not all swear you must have hush-puppies and there's as many recipes for them as there are for the BBQ and the BBQ Sauce. In most places in the deep south it is also accompanied by green beans , mashed potatoes , macaroni and cheese , and some people will argue that you must have pecan pie while others swear you must have banana pudding. Below you will find our award winning recipes for all of these items and more. So read on and enjoy and who knows we just might teach you a few things about BBQ or BBQ Sauce. So read on and enjoy.
Barbecuing Food Facts
A number of different herbs can be placed on the coals to flavor the food. The best are savory, tarragon, rosemary, or dried basil. You can place lettuce leaves on your coals if they become to hot and flare up. You should store charcoal briquettes in airtight plastic bags since they absorb moisture very quickly and easily.
Well Fancy That
When you wrap your corn in tin foil for barbecuing, try placing a few sprigs of rosemary or basil in the package with the corn for a delightful tasty treat. Sprinkle your corn on the cob with rosemary and then pull the shucks back up over the corn and roast it in the shucks for a delicious tasty treat.
If you want to tenderize meat when barbecuing, add green papaya to the barbecue sauce. Don't leave the meat in too long or it will start to break down. Pineapple will also have the same effect. You can if you wish use liquid Italian Dressing for a marinade for your meats. You can marinade tougher cuts of beef in the Italian Dressing and they will turn out tender and delicious.
A Definite No, No
When working with raw meat or poultry for barbecuing never use the same plate or utensil that touched the raw food. Placing the cooked food back on the same plate that held the raw food you can make people sick rather quickly. Always think food safety. Be careful to practice food safety.
Master Class Barbecue Rub
1. One Cup Granulated Brown Sugar.
2. One Fourth Cup Garlic Salt.
3. One Fourth Cup Celery Salt.
4. One Fourth Cup Onion Salt.
5. One Fourth Cup Seasoned Salt.
6. One Fourth Cup Paprika.
7. One Fourth Cup Chili Powder.
8. Four Tablespoons Black Pepper.
9. Four Tablespoons Lemon Pepper.
10. Four Tablespoons Ground Sage.
11. Two Tablespoons Dry Mustard.
12. One Tablespoon Dry Thyme.
13. One Tablespoon Ground Cayenne Pepper.
14. One Tablespoon Red Pepper Flakes.
Combine all the ingredients in a large plastic container with a lid. Keep chilled in the refrigerator for up to six weeks or freeze for up to six months. You will want to have room in the container so you can shake the mixture up very well to make sure that its well mixed together.
You can rub this mixture on beef, pork, chicken, or fish and then cook on a charcoal grill over indirect heat. Indirect heat is where you have the charcoal fire on one side of the grill and you cook mostly on the other side. This is a great way to cook a beef brisket. When cooking a beef brisket keep your fire low and always cook beef brisket for a long time ( 8 - 10 hours ). This is the reason to cook it over low heat and indirectly so your meat doesn't get burned.
I like to cook over charcoal because it adds a lot of wonderful flavor but some people prefer gas grills. Its really each persons choice of what they like and how they want to cook their food.
Fried Green Tomaotes
HOW TO MAKE COLESLAW
Distinctions and preferences for the flavor of barbecue sauce used to baste and to accompany barbecued meats and poultry vary from region to region. In fact you can travel to Texas and find four distinct kinds. Tennessee and most areas of Texas claim bragging rights to their thick based tomato sauce. North Carolina is known for its pungent pepper based sauces and ketchup is added only in the western part of the state. South Carolina boasts all these types of sauces as well as a mustard based one. And some areas have their own distinct barbecue sauces.
BBQ Ribs Recipe -Country Style
East Carolina Vinegar Sauce
People in the Eastern part of North Carolina swear that this is the best Barbecue Sauce that there ever has been.
1 Quart Of Apple Cider Vinegar
1 Tablespoon of Crushed Red Pepper
1 Tablespoon of Salt
2 Teaspoons of Fresh Ground Black Pepper
Stir all your ingredients together and simmer over low heat for up to 2 hours. Must be low heat. You then put it in a bowl and with a brush apply it to your meat on the grill once the meat gets warm but not before. As your meat cooks keep applying the sauce with the brush until your meat is done. This is a great Eastern Carolina Barbecue Sauce.
Western North Carolina BBQ Sauce
1 Quart of Apple Cider Vinegar
1 Cup Of Brown Sugar
1 Cup Of Ketchup
1/4 Cup of your favorite Hot Sauce
2 Table Spoons Browning and Seasoning Sauce
1 Teaspoon Salt
1 Teaspoon Onion Powder
1 Teaspoon Onion Flakes
1 Teaspoon Of Black Pepper
2 Tablespoons Worcestershire Sauce
2 Tablespoons Soy Sauce
Place all ingredients in a pot over low heat stirring often. Cook at least a hour after the sauce gets good and warm. You can make this sauce ahead at least a week ahead and store in a covered container in the refrigerator. This is one of the best Barbecue Sauces you will ever eat.
Both of the above sauces are good on almost any meat.
How to BBQ chicken
Wonderful Barbecue Tips
Some Great Barbecue Tips
1. Soak your chunks of hardwood in water for at least 4 hours before you put it on your coals to give a apple wood or mesquite flavor to your meat. If you can soak the wood overnight in water before you use it the next day.
2. Don't open your grill and peek to often. You loose heat this way. Also don't poke your steaks with a fork. You let out the juices this way. And you want those delicious juices to stay in your steak.
3. Wear heavy rubber gloves when you are handling or testing your meat. Remember your pork needs to be 160 degrees at the center to be done and for your safety. Ribs of any type should pull apart easily when done.
4. Match lite is the best brand of charcoal to use as you won't have to use charcoal lighter. Some people say charcoal lighter gives BBQ'ed meat a unpleasant taste so they don't use it.
5. Keep several long handle brushes to apply your BBQ Sauce to your meat.
6. Be sure you have several long handle forks and knifes to work with the meat on your grill.
7. Keep a spray bottle filled with a 1/2 water , 1/2 Apple Cider Vinegar Solution to spray on any small grill firs or hot spots you need to cool off.
8. Lite your charcoal and allow the fire to die down and the coals go white before you put your meat on the grill. If your cooking a lot of meat you may need to keep some hot coals on the side or in a large metal can to add as needed. Remember that cuts like beef brisket need to cook for at least eight to ten hours to be tender and delicious. And this must be done over low heat in order for the beef brisket to cook properly.
9. Invest in a good heavy duty meat thermometer. Be sure that your chicken gets cooked to 170 degrees and your pork to 160 degrees.
10. Buy and keep you some good quality heavy duty cotton rags to clean up around the grill and on the grill. A good stiff metal grill brush will make your life a lot simpler.
11. You can soak things like chicken or pork chops in Italian dressing for at least eight hours and your meat will be tender and delicious.
12. Don't forget that you can grill things like corn in the shucks, vegetable kebobs, and etc on the grill and they will taste wonderful.
If you follow those few tips you will have a much more pleasant BBQ Experience.
Banana Pudding The Traditional Southern Way
Macaroni and Cheese - Made The Traditional Southern Way
Red Beans and Rice The Traditional Southern Way
Mississippi Mud Pie
We hope you enjoy all the Barbecue Recipes , and Barbecue Information on this web page. We hope you will try the recipes on the videos on this page because we have tried them all and they are so good. It may not be long before people say your one of the best ever barbecue cooks.
Another Great Web Page By Nosycat Productions
Produced By Nosycat Productions ©
The Text on this page was produced by Nosycat Productions © for Thomas Byers aka Crazyhorsesghost and is copyrighted to Thomas Byers and Nosycat Productions. Do not copy and repaste the text on this page to another site or you will be in violation of US and other Nations Copyright Rules and Aggreements.
These materials are protected by copyright and other intellectual property laws.
© 2007 Thomas Byers