- Food and Cooking»
- Quick & Easy Recipes
Easy Sunday Brunch or Lunch Recipe: All Day Breakfast Salad With Bacon, Lettuce and Tomato
A Weekend Treat
I love to cook a fried breakfast for my family at the weekends: the full works; eggs, bacon, sausage, black and white pudding, mushrooms, baked beans, fried bread, fried tomatoes and sauté potatoes. Occasionally though, I feel like something a little different; this BLT breakfast salad always hit's the spot no matter what the time of day. I'm still having my eggs, bacon, sausage and to an extent, fried bread but it's lighter, healthier yet still packs a punch in the flavor department. The salad leaf and tomatoes work very well with the crispy bacon and the sliced sauasge is just enough to add that authentic breakfast sabor.
- 1 small bag of mixed leaf salad, washed
- 1 small cucumber, peeled and sliced
- 2 tomatoes, quatered
- 10 cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 small onion, sliced
- 1 green pepper, sliced into rings
- 1 baguette, sliced
- 4 pieces of streaky bacon
- 2 pork sausages
- 2 hen eggs
- 6 quail eggs
- 1 tablespoon Olive oil
- 1 garlic clove
- vegtable oil, to fry
- 1 tablespoon mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon dijon mustard
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Put the 2 hen eggs into a small pot of water and gently simmer for four minutes, add the 6 quail eggs and continue to simmer for another two minutes. Drain off the water and run under a cold running tap to slightly cool the eggs. Leave to one side.
- While your eggs are simmering grill your streaky bacon and fry your sausages in a pan with the vegetable oil. When your bacon is crisp, remove to a kitchen board or flat area, using a wooden spoon bash the bacon to small bits. Once your sausages are cooked remove to a kitchen board and slice into even circles.
- Lightly grill your slices of baguette, when just golden remove from the grill, rub with the garlic clove, drizzle over the Olive oil and replace back under the grill. Toast to a slightly darker golden colour. Repeat on the other side.
- Gently tear the mixed leaf and arrange on two plates, scatter over the bacon. Arrange the sliced cucumber, tomatoes, onion and green pepper over the leaf. Add the sausage slices and the baguette croutons.
- Mix the mayo and mustard together and drizzle over your breakfast salad coating all the ingredients well. Season and serve.
- Not a fan of sausages! use an extra slice or two of streaky bacon or opt for fried black pudding instead.
- I used plain pork sausages in this breakfast dish as there are already a lot of flavors and I don't want to overdo it.
- I bash the bacon into little bits to add texture to the salad as well as maximising the flavor.
- Rubbing the garlic on the baguette slices adds an extra kick, drizzling with Olive oil on both sides of the bread will ensure a real crunchy crouton.
- A mix of tomatoes gives dept to your salad as does a mix of eggs.
- Don't over boil your eggs, simmer gently to get the perfect soft boiled salad egg.
- I like mayo and dijon mustard, I find the hint of mustard compliments the bacon and sausage while the thickness of the mayo works well with the eggs.
- Serve your salad warm, but not hot; you don't want to wilt all that lovely green salad leaf.
- The quicker the eggshell drys once the egg is lifted out of the water is an indication of how well cooked your egg is.
- Very fresh eggs are difficult to shell when boiled; week old eggs are best.
Healthy Breakfast Options With All The Taste
- How To Poach An Egg: Perfect Poached Eggs Every time
A simple straight forward method to poach eggs resulting in perfect poached soft eggs every time.
- Low Calorie Sunday Brunch With All The Trimmings: Qu...
This article provides step by step instructions: how to cook the perfect low calorie Sunday brunch from perfect poached eggs to crispy bacon complete with the calorie low down. How to eat your Sunday brunch without consuming lots of fat and calories
What's Your Favorite Breakfast?
© 2013 Gabriel Wilson