This is how I get the kids to eat spinach! Who doesn't love a BLT? The combination of the salty bacon with the sweetness of the dressing and grape tomatoes makes for great flavor. This is a very easy salad. If I am entertaining, I get the spinach and tomatoes ready in the serving bowl, then cook the bacon ahead of time, and leave it in the pan with the bacon grease, stored in the refrigerator. Just heat the pan before serving and finish the recipe. Stand back when you add the vinegar, or it will clear your sinuses! This salad also goes well with gourmet croutons, or sometimes I add toasted pine nuts. The spinach wilts slightly when the dressing is added. Enjoy!
- 6 slices bacon
- 1 large vidalia onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 1 pint grape tomatoes, halved
- 5-6 cups baby spinach
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 2-3 tablespoons splenda or white sugar
- extra virgin olive oil if needed
- Cook bacon over medium low heat in a fry pan until crisp. Season with pepper if desired.
- Remove all but 2 to 3 tablespoons of the bacon fat from pan.
- Meanwhile in salad bowl, add spinach and halved grape tomatoes.
- Turn pan to the lowest setting. Add onions to the bacon and stir for one minute.
- Add splenda or sugar, and vinegar to the pan. Stir until disolved. Add up to 1/4 cup olive oil to extend dressing. Taste and season if needed. Adjust the sugar to taste.
- Pour the dressing over the spinach, toss and serve immediately. Add extra olive oil if required to finish.