How to Make Tofu Fajitas: A Healthy (and Tasty!) Alternative
People can get scared off by tofu. I’ve been a vegetarian for 17 years and even I can get scared off by tofu. So when I told my husband ( a man known to devour more ribs in a single sitting than Fred Flinstone) that tofu was on the menu ,it was not greeted with enthusiasm. However, as a man also married to a very experiment cook, he decided to go with the flow.
As it turns out, these tofu fajitas are not just healthy, but super delicious too! I first prepared them several years ago, and they have become a staple at our house. They are loaded with veggies and the tofu is a healthy alternative to steak.
1 sliced red pepper
1 sliced green pepper
1 sliced orange pepper
1 chopped red onion
1 diced jalapeño (optional)
1 block tofu cut into thick slices
1 TBS minced garlic
1 cup salsa
¼ cup white vinegar
- Mix the salsa and white vinegar in a small bowl. Set aside.
- After cutting the tofu into thick slices, sprinkle all sides with enough cumin to thoroughly cover. Cook your tofu in a large pan coated with olive oil until all sides of the tofu are crispy and golden brown. You will need to watch closely and flip the tofu as needed.
- When the tofu is finished, place it on a paper towel to soak up any extra oil and then set aside.
- Using the same pan, cook your onions, peppers, jalapeño, and garlic. Once these ingredients are nearing your desired level of doneness, add the salsa mixture you’d previously set aside and your tofu chunks. Stir well and heat until warm.
- Now you’re ready to load this yummy filling into a tortilla. I like to top all of this off with fresh cilantro.