- Food and Cooking»
- Main Dish & Side Dish Recipes
Backyard Grilled Gyros
These grilled gyros are an American take on a classic Mediterranean dish. Inspired by a lack of excellent Mediterranean restaurants in my area and a strong craving for a good gyro, the backyard gyro was born. This recipe is easy, and combines the distinct flavor of the more traditional dish with the irresistible allure of the wood or charcoal fired grill.
Don't forget the tzatziki sauce.
- 1 pound ground lamb
- 1 pound ground beef
- 4 oz feta, crumbled
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 1 Tablespoon fresh marjoram, minced
- 1 Tablespoon fresh rosemary, minced
- 1 Tablespoon fresh oregano, minced
- 1 Tablespoon fresh thyme, minced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 Tablespoon cumin
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 red onion, sliced
- 1 yellow bell pepper, sliced
- 2 medium tomatoes, deseeded and sliced
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- Mix all but the last four ingredients in a large mixing bowl.
- Form oblong patties and place on a cookie sheet. Refrigerate for 15 minutes.
- While the patties are chilling in the refrigerator, saute the sliced red onion and sliced yellow bell pepper in the olive oil over medium heat, just until the onion begins to turn translucent.
- Grill the patties until an internal temperature of 165 degrees is reached. Remove these to a casserole dish and allow them to rest for 5 minutes.
- Slice the meat into thin slices.
- Heat pitas briefly on the grill or in an oven. Top promptly with a serving of the meat slices topped with the sauteed onion and pepper, and garnish with the tomato slices.