- Food and Cooking»
- Cooking Ingredients
Mixed Vegetable Relish or Achar, Tastey & Spicy Hot - The Recipe
This is Dedicated to Bafana Bafana
Our National Team, of footballers brave and fearless who took on some of the Toughest opposition teams in the FIFA 2010 World Cup.
We salute you!
You have done us proud!
South African's one and all,
The Bafana Bafana Achar
Let's Get Started!
Now For Those Ingredient
200g finely sliced cabbage,
200g carrots cut into matchsticks,
200g French orstring greeen beans cut into slivers
1/2 medium cauliflower, separated into small pieces
1/2 medium baurocoli, seperated into small pieces,
3 black mustard seeds,
2 tablespoons crushed garlic,
1 tablespoon turmeric powder,
1 Teaspoon mild curry powder
Sliced green chillies according to taste
10 tablespoons of mustard oil or vegetable oil
2 large onions finely chopped,
2 tablespoons white vinegar,
Salt to taste.
Ayoba Fever - Rejoicing the World Cup
Now What To Dou
Well it is rather simple really,
- Take all the cut vegetables and blanch them in some boiling, only for a minute, until there colours darken.
- Add the dry ingredients together in the bottom of your mixing dish.
- Mix the vegetables and the dry ingredients
- Heat the oil to frying temperature
- Add the vinegar to the vegetable mix
- Carefully pour the hot oil over the vegetables
- Let the mixture cool partially
- Decant into storage jar
- Let it cool.
- Ready for use within a couple of days!
- Refrigerate once opened
There it is a truly delishious Achar, great on a cheese sandwich as well as an accompaniment to any curry or casserole.
For hotter versions adjust the types and amounts of chilis used, as well as the curry powder.