Baked Apple Rings Over Oatmeal
Baking with apples is simple and easy. This recipe for spiced baked apple rings is perfect for putting over oatmeal for breakfast, using as a side with a delicious pork dinner, or pairing with ice cream for a topping twist.
Whether baking apples in cookies, pies, tarts, muffins, or simply baking the apple itself finding the right apple can make or break your dish. However you decide to use your baked apple rings, they are the perfect addition to any meal or dessert.
Health Benefits of Oatmeal:
Nothing starts off the day better than a bowl of warm oatmeal. This traditional meal has been a smart choice by many as oatmeal carries a variety of health benefits. Below are seven reasons why you should enjoy a bowl of oatmeal for breakfast with spiced apple rings.
- Lowers Cholesterol--Oatmeal contains a strand of fiber called beta-gluten that reduces levels of bad cholesterol. Just one bowl of oatmeal can lower cholesterol by up to 20 percent.
- Boosts Immune System--Beta-gluten can also amp up the immune system and help fight bacterial infections.
- Special Antioxidants for Heart Protection--Oatmeal does not just lower bad cholesterol, it also protects good cholesterol.
- Stabilizes Blood Sugar--Being rich in fiber allows oatmeal to stabilize the blood sugar and keep your system from "crashing" by mid-day. Sugary and refined carbohydrates can cause you to have a surge of energy in the morning, but unlike fiber rich cereals the energy usually does not last.
- Lowers Risk of Diabetes--Oatmeal also contains high amounts of Magnesium which helps the body to properly digest glucose as well as secrete insulin.
- Prevents Breast Cancer--Whole grains and a rich in fiber diet can protect against breast cancer. Eating oatmeal and other whole grains can reduce your risk of breast cancer by up to 40 percent.
- Gluten-Friendly--Although oatmeal does contain gluten it is such a small amount that it can be tolerated by adults and children alike with Celiac disease.
- 2 Apples
- 1/4 cup Dried fruit or raisins
- 2 Tbs. Brown sugar
- 1/2 Tsp. Cinnamon
- 1/4 Tsp. Nutmeg
- 1/8 Tsp. Ginger
- 1/3 cup Water or apple juice
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Core apples and peel if desired. Place apples in a 2 quart baking dish and set aside.
- In a small bowl combine fruit or raisins with brown sugar, cinnamon, ginger, and nutmeg until fruit is coated.
- Spoon mixture into center of apples. Sprinkling over apples if desired.
- Pour apple juice or water around the apples.
- Bake uncovered for 40 to 45 minutes or until apples are tender. Baste occasionally with the liquid in the dish.
- Serve warm. Over oatmeal and ice cream are great.
With fall, winter, and colder weather just around the corner spiced apple rings and oatmeal are a great breakfast combination. Warm, filling, and heart healthy this breakfast is sure to please guests of all ages.
Siding these delicious and spicy apple rings with your pork dinner is a great way to add new flavors and texture to a meat dish. No matter how you prepare and serve, baked apple rings are sure to please any crowd.