Baked Chicken: A Mouthwatering Recipe
Mouthwatering Baked Chicken Recipe
It's hard to beat this chicken recipe. For one thing--It's super simple and requires just a handful of ingredients. Also; it's so tender and succulent that it's difficult to resist the temptation to scarf the whole thing down yourself. The best part of it? There's almost no added fat in this recipe. The only fat added is the small amount from the cooking spray which is used to coat the pan before adding the ingredients.
The trick to this recipe is placing the chicken pieces on top of the vegetable mixture so that as it bakes, the steam from the vegetables rises and permeates the chicken. No extra liquid is needed for this recipe. The liquid shown in the photo is from the chicken and the vegetables. Use it instead of gravy to add flavor to any side dishes you prepare to accompany this dish--potatoes, rice, dressing, etc.
Extra added bonus: The vegetables cooked with the chicken. I used celery, carrots and onion. I'm sure the addition of different vegetables to this dish would be fantastic. Try this recipe...you won't be disappointed!
- One 4-5 pound whole chicken, cut into 8 pieces trimmed of fat
- 1 medium onion (about 8 ounces), sliced thin
- 2 ribs of celery, sliced thin
- 2 medium carrots, sliced thin
- Salt & pepper, to your taste
- Cooking oil spray, as needed
- Assemble all ingredients, kitchen tools and equipment. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Use cooking spray to coat the inside of a medium to large roasting pan.
- Toss vegetables into the roasting pan. Just jumble them in, no particular order. If you have a Salad Shooter, use that to shoot the veggies in. If not, use a food processor to slice up your veggies. Otherwise, do it the old-fashioned way--with your trusty chef's knife.
- Season the chicken pieces with salt & pepper. Place the chicken pieces on top of the veggies.
- Place roasting pan in oven and bake uncovered for about 20 minutes.
- Kick the oven temperature down to 350 degrees. Remove pan from oven, cover and return to oven. Bake for about an hour (for smaller chickens) and longer for larger chickens (about 1 hour and 20 minutes). If you have a meat thermometer, use it to determine if the thickest piece of chicken is the proper internal temperature for poultry: 165F.
- Enjoy your tender, succulent chicken with your favorite side dishes!