- Food and Cooking
Italian Stuffed Mushrooms
- 1 Pound Medium Sized Mushrooms
- 2 Tablespoons Butter
- 2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
- 1 Clove Garlic, Minced or pressed
- 2 Tablespoons Fresh Parsley, Chopped
- 1/2 Teaspoon Salt
- 1/8 Teaspoon Thyme leaves and oregano leaves, Dried or fresh
- Dash Salt and Pepper
- 1/4 Cup Soft bread crumbs
- 1/4 Cup Parmesan or mozzarella cheese
Adding and Modifying
I have always found that adding italian sausage to the mushrooms and butter while browning adds a wonderful flavor to these stuffed mushrooms. Not only does the sausage add great flavor, it also fills you up!
I have yet to try adding crab to the mushroom mixture, but I'm sure that would taste lovely too.
- Carefully remove stems from mushrooms; reserve the caps and chop stems finely. In a medium size frying pan, over medium heat, place butter and oil. When butter is melted, add chopped mushroom stems and cook, stirring until juices have evaporated and mushrooms are slightly browned.
- Mix in garlic, parsley, salt, herbs, pepper, nutmeg, and crumbs (I usually use a small food processer for finely chopping the herbs) remove from heat. Mound equal amounts of cooked mixture into mushroom caps and cover evenly with parmesan or mozzarella cheese.
- Place caps in a greased shallow baking pan and bake uncovered in a 400 degree oven for 20-25 minutes or until cheese is slightly browned. Makes 18-20 stuffed mushrooms.
© 2013 Dannell