Baked Sweet Potato and Tomato
Good served as a main dish (perhaps with extra cheese on top) or as an accompaniment to roast chicken. Leave the skins on the sweet potato: Squash would make a good alternative to sweet potato (but remove its skin first). Instead of Pannesan, choose your favourite cheese (grated) for sprinkling on top. A few capers or sliced black olives could be tucked under the vegetables too.
YOU WILL NEED:
1 large onion
2 tbsp olive 0il
4 large tomatoes
2 large sweet potatoes
1-2 tbsp chopped fresh oregano or marjoram (optional)
Freshly milled salt and black pepper
150ml 1/4 pint vegetable stock
2-3 tbsp grated Parmesan cheese
1. Preheat the oven to 180'C, Fan 165'C, Gas 4.
2. Thinly slice the onion and toss the slices in 1 tbsp oil. Slice
the tomatoes. Scrub the sweet potatoes and slice them
3. Brush a shallow ovenproof dish with the remaining oil.
Arrange the tomatoes and sweet potatoes in the dish in
rows, sprinkling the oregano or marjoram between the
layers. Scatter the oiled onion over the top and season
lightly with salt and pepper. Pour the stock over.
4. Cover the dish securely with foil, put into the hot oven and
cook for about 11/4-1 1/2 hours. until the vegetables are soft.
5. Remove the foil, top with the cheese and cook for 15-30
minutes until the top is golden brown.