Herb baked eggs and tomatoes
Homegrown tomatoes and herbs
Herb baked tomatoes and eggs
When I saw the original recipe on Pinterest from Curvy Carrot, I vowed to make it as soon as the garden started producing lots of tomatoes. As it tuns out, it's an excellent dish anytime.
- The perfect breakfast on the patio with morning coffee.
- Great herb garden luncheon.
- Easy long day, light meal.
I added fresh herbs and cooked the eggs about five minutes longer for set eggs, no runny egg whites for me.
When tomatoes are their most productive, so are the herbs in the herb garden. This simple dish is elavated to gourmet statis with a sprinkling of fresh chopped herbs.
Herbs - Consider seasoning with a sprinkle of fresh, chopped chervil, basil, parsley, or chives. Combine herbs in the French classic: Fines herbes. The ingredients of fines herbes are the quintessential herb combination in French cooking. Chop and toss fresh parsley, chives, tarragon and chervil.
Bacon - In one tomato, I added a teaspoon of real bacon bits, before the egg went in. Frying bacon is much too messy and takes too long for this light, simple dish. When you cook bacon for BLTs, make a couple of extra strips and save for this dish.
Herb seasoned tomato
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. I used a big tomato and the large egg just barely fit. Cut a really small sliver off the botton of the tomato to help it sit flat. Cut a slice off the top to make the top level. Gently scoop out the tomato pulp and seeds. Discard or save pulp for another use.
- Sit tomato shell in a baking dish. Add salt and pepper or a sprinkle of chopped basil or other chopped herbs to the inside of the tomato, if you like. Add Tablespoon of shredded cheese.
- Crack egg into the tomato shell. Bake 15 minutes. Remove from oven, sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake about 10 minutes more or until egg is cooked Do not over bake. Remember, the egg will contue to cook once it is removed from the oven. It is better to err on the side of underdone because you can always cook it more.
- Remove from oven. Transfer to serving plate. Add salt and pepper (optional). Garnish with fresh chopped herbs (optional). Serve imediately.
- 8 -10 ounces about half a pound tomato, scoop out contents
- 1 extra large or large egg, a smaller tomato will only hold a smaller egg
- sprinkling chives, basil, chervil, chopped (optional)
- pinch salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 teas Real bacon bits, optional