- Food and Cooking»
- Cooking Ingredients
Baking substitute for eggs
Egg free baking substitute
Flax seeds, banana, yeast, milk, tofu and commercial egg substitute are some of the baking substitute for eggs. Here is how to use these egg free substitute in cooking and baking.
Eggs have some functions in baking. Eggs either act as binders, moisturizers or leavening agents.
Binders: If eggs act as binders in a recipe, use flax seeds, silken tofu and pureed fruit. No binders is needed for cookies and muffins.
Leavening: If eggs act as leavening agent, add baking soda, or Ener-G. Leavening agent makes baked goods light and fluffy. For example, quick breads and cakes, both leavening and binding agent is needed. Leavening works well for cakes, cookies, breads and muffins.
Moisturizers. If eggs act as moisturizer, use milk and water.
Egg free substitute:
Using egg substitute:
More common baking substitute for eggs:
1. Flaxseeds: One tablespoon ground flax seed mixed with 3 tablespoons of water. It works for whole grain items and pancakes. Or you can try one tablespoon whole flax seed mixed with 4 tablespoons of water. Mix it with a blender. Store it in the refrigerator for upto 2 weeks.
2. Milk: Milk works well for baking goodies. Add 150ml of milk for every egg.
3. Banana: One medium sized banana equal to one egg. Mash well with a spoon and add to your egg substitutes. It works well except it gives a banana flavor.
4. Applesauce: 1/4 cup of applesauce equal to one egg.
5. Yeast: 1 teaspoon dissolved in 1/4 cup of warm water equal to one egg. Let the yeast mixture stand for 10 minutes.
6. Vinegar and baking powder: One teaspoon baking powder, one tablespoon liquid and one tablespoon vinegar equal to one whole egg. It works for most baking goodies including cakes, pancakes, brownies and waffles.
7. Silken tofu: 1/4 cup blended silken tofu equal to one egg.
8. Soy flour: One heaping soy flour mixed with one tablespoon of water equal to one egg.
9. Ener-G Egg Replacer: Ener-G is probably good when you need to replace more than one egg in baking. It is available in most health food stores and grocery stores. 1 1/2 tablespoons Ener_G and one tablespoons of water equal to one egg.