Blackberry, Creamsicle, Banana Muffins
Explanation of Muffins
This recipe was originally a banana bread but since it takes about an hour in the oven and I wanted it sooner, I turned them into muffins and they only took 20 minutes to bake. Then one day I wanted to make them different so I added jam and cream cheese to the muffins and my family loved them. A dozen and a half went at one sitting, especially since they all took some home.
Muffins could be eaten anytime, not just for breakfast. They make a good after school snack or anytime you want to just take a break and sit down with a cup of coffee or tea and have a muffin.
Simple to make, you just put every think in one bowl and mix it with a wooden spoon. You can put anything you want in muffins. Experiment with different ingredients to see what pleases your palate. They don't even have to be sweet, you can make them savory to go with a meal.
It's up to you. I do suggest you give these a try. Then you could experiment.
Tips and Substitutes
- Make sure the butter is very soft.
- I used blackberry jam. If you use that, make sure it's seedless. You could substitute another flavor if you want.
- With banana muffins, the more ripe your bananas the more banana flavor there will be.
Blackberry Creamsicle Banana Muffins
Cook and Prep Time
- 2 cups flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup butter, very soft
- 3 medium very ripe bananas, mashed
- 2 eggs, room temperature
- 1/4 cup cold water
- 1/2 cup walnuts, finely chopped
- 8 oz. cream cheese, soft
- 3/4 cup Confectionary sugar
- 1/4 cup milk
- Seedless Blackberry Jam
- 1/4 teaspoon Vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350. Spray muffin pans with a non-stick spray. In a large bowl cream together the butter and sugar with a wooden spoon. Add the bananas and eggs and mix again until smooth.
- Add the flour, salt, baking soda, vanilla and nuts and stir together. Add the cold water and stir.
- Divide batter into 18 muffin pans.
- Mix the soft cream cheese, confectioners sugar and milk together till smooth.
- With a spoon add a little of the cream cheese mixture right into the top of each muffin. About a full teaspoon or more, if you want. Then add the jam the same way right next to the cream cheese, a shown in the picture.
- Sprinkle the tops with coarse sugar or regular sugar if that's what you have. Bake in a 350 degree preheated oven for 20 to 25 minutes or till a toothpick comes out clean when inserted into the muffin.