- Food and Cooking»
- Main Dish & Side Dish Recipes
Balinese Spicy Beef Recipe (Daging Bumbu Bali)
Here is another spicy beef dish from beautiful Bali island of Indonesia. Daging bumbu Bali is beef slices cooked in hot spicy chili, lemongrass, shrimp paste and sweet soy sauce. This is not regular stew or braised beef. It's savory, spicy, hot, sweet and full of flavors. The beef slices are tender and infused with lemongrass. It's a kind of dried stew dish with little amount of thick sauce.
Daging bumbu Bali is usually served with steamed rice and can be eaten during lunch or dinner.
This is my favorite recipe of daging bumbu Bali. In order to get flavorful and juicy daging bumbu Bali, always cook the beef in low heat or leave the cooked beef overnight in the fridge to develop the flavors and reheat it the next day.
Candlenut is the nut of Aleurites Moluccana and widely used as thickening agent in Indonesian and Malaysian dishes. This oily nut can be substituted with macadamia nut.
What You Need
Serves 2 - 4
1 lbs beef, thinly sliced
1 cup beef broth
1 lemongrass, cut into 3, bruised
4 tbsp sweet soy sauce
2 tbsp canola oil
1 tsp brown sugar
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp shrimp paste
1 tbsp vinegar
2 Asian shallot
4 cloves garlic
1 tsp sambal oelek (chili paste)
3 kemiri (candlenut)
1 piece ginger (1/2-inch)
How to Fix
- Put shallot, garlic, chili paste, candlenut and ginger in a food processor. Grind the spices into a smooth paste.
- Heat a skillet or wok over high heat. When hot add oil and spice paste. Stir fry the spice paste for 1 minute or until fragrant.
- Then add , beef, lemongrass and shrimp paste. Cook for about 1 minutes. Then pour the beef broth and sweet soy sauce. Bring to a boil and then lower the heat to simmer.
- Add salt and sugar. Simmer for about 30 minutes or until the beef is tender and the sauce is thick.
- Taste and adjust the flavor if necessary by adding soy sauce, salt or vinegar or chili paste.
- Transfer to serving dish. Serve with steamed rice.
More Indonesian Recipes
- How To Make Bandung Beef Soup (Soto Bandung)
- Indonesian Shrimp And Vegetable Fritters Recipe (Bakwan Sayur Udang)
- Indonesian Pancakes With Palm Sugar Syrup Recipe (Serabi Kinca)
- Indonesian Sour And Spicy Vegetables Soup Recipe (Sayur Asem)