In fiji we call it Bara, in india they call it lentil Vada. So I decided to call it Bara Vada. A very simple and easy recipe to make you can make this recipe in just a few hours time. If your in a hurry and dont have time to soak the spilt peas overnight, then just soak it in hot water for 2 hours changing water every 1 hour. A hot and spicy snack for the whole family.
- 500 grams Yellow Spilt Peas
- 3 cloves Garlic
- 3 chillies, chopped
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 Cup Corriander, chopped
- For deep frying Oil
- 1 Large Onion
- Salt, to taste
- Soak the spilt peas over night to make it soft.
- In a pan add 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds and roast at low flame untill it changes colour. Remove from the heat and grind into a fine powder.
- Drain the spilt peas, add the chillies, garlic, and blend in a blender to a smooth batter, adding little water slowly.
- Take a large bowl pour the spilt pea batter add salt, finely chopped onion, coriander leaves, powdered cumin and 1/2 teaspoon cumin. Mix batter well.
- Wet your hand and take a portion of the mixture in your hand. Shape them round, you can also make a hole in the middle.
- Heat oil in a pan or kadhai, drop the bara / vada in oil.
- Deep fry the bara / vada till both sides turn golden brown in colour.
- Repeat with the remaining batter. Take the bara / Vada from oil and place it on paper towel. Serve hot with chutney or sauce. enjoy.
- Do not throw the Bara vada in the oil. Put it from a close distance in the oil but not too close.
- Make sure your oil is at medium low heat at all times.
- If you desire to make a hole do it in step 5.
- Drain the bara vada in paper towels before storing.
Consume within 3 days.
Other recipes from Asweeni's Kitchen
- Dates Cake Stickydate pudding
Dates cake or stickydate pudding you cant say no to. A very soft and moist cake. Quick and easy to make having a guest coming over quickly whip up a dates cake. Have some dates in the pantry and dont know what to do make dates cake. A great cake to m
- Rice Bubble Slices or Bar
A very easy and cheap recipe to do at home. Its one of the kids favorite. You can also make them into different colours as well. The best part is you can use homemade marshmallows as well in this recipe.
- Coconut Milk Chicken Curry
Chicken cooked in coconut milk and spices one of the delicious curry to have. Not only thai people use coconut milk in their curry but indians also use coconut milk. This is a fiji indian curry.
Dhal is indian lentils soup. Great dish for vegan and vegetarians. Lentils are full of vitamins and minerals. Great dish for kids and very easy to make.
- South Indian Crepe Dosa
Dosa is made in different ways in south india. It is a very common breakfast in most south indian homes. It takes a lot of practice to make perfect Dosa. The key to making Perfect Dosa is the batter. If your batter is made at the right consistency th
Marshmallows are every childs favorite candy to snack on, not only kids love it but adults do to. Marshmallow is whipped to a spongy consistency and then cut into small cubes or piped like I did you can do any shapes to suit you.
- Choc balls
Choc balls are made the same way Rum balls are made but in choc balls you dont put rum.
- Fruit Condensed Milk Jelly
A kids friendly easy to make desert. A dessert under ten dollars to feed a family of 12 or you can have them over few days
- Choc ripple
The easiest cake ever to make. I am a big fan of biscuits, I love to create thing with biscuits. So here is my creation of choc ripple cake. Once you try this you wouldnt want to try anything else. This is a classic Australian cake. There's zero baki
Peda is a indian sweet which is usually made of milk. Some people call it milk fudge. Here in my recipe I have used condensed milk and milk powder. The texture is usually semi soft.
- Easy Tamarind Chutney
Easy tamarind chutney which is sweet, sour and very spicy. You can use this as a relish as well it goes well with sandwiches and rice aswell or as a dip.
- Sweet Chilly Chicken
Indian Chinese inspired food.