Barbecue pork recipe, Vietnamese style
The weather was great yesterday so before making the final batch of green mustard pickle, about 30kg, we enjoyed a barbecue.
1 lb. belly pork
1/4 onion, peeled and minced
1-2 shallot, peeled and minced
2-3 clove garlic, peeled and minced
1 bird eyes chilli, minced (optional)
1 lemon grass, thinly sliced and minced
2-3 tbsp. cooking fish sauce (squid brand)
10 black peppercorn, toast and freshly ground coarsly
1 tsp. sugar
2 tsp. wine
1 tbsp. vegetable oil
- Cut pork into 1/2” thick small bread size slices OR cut pork into small 1/8” thick pieces. Squeeze onion, shallot and garlic juice over and mix well including the pulps. Add lemon-grass, chilli, pepper and mix. Add fish sauce, sugar and mix. Add wine, mix and let set for 1-3 minutes. Finally add oil, mix then cover and let set for 30 minutes in room temperature or longer in refrigerator.
- Build a medium-hot fire in a charcoal grill or heat a gas grill to medium-high and grill as normal.
As you normally barbecue
As summer roll filling
As Vietnamese baguette filling
With vermicelli, dipping sauce and fragrant herbs
- Some people mix with caramelise sugar for colouring purpose and flavour.
- If you do not have lemongrass and shallot, don't worry, onion and garlic alone work just fine
- If you do not have fish sauce, replace with salt and little sugar