Basmati Pulao (Sweet Rice) Is a Traditional Bengali Dish Prepared During Festivals and Special Occasions.
- 1.5 cups basmati /Jeera rice/short grain rice, washed and soaked in water for 30 minutes
- 4 tablespoons Ghee/clarified butter
- 4 tablespoons refine oil
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 8 tablespoons sugar
- salt to taste
- 2 tablespoons raisins
- 2 tablespoons cashews
- 4 cloves
- 1 inch cinnamon stick
- 2 bay leaves
- 4 green cardamoms
- 3 cups luke warm water
- In a bowl, soak rice for 30 minutes. Wash thoroughly and keep aside to drain the water.
- Heat 2 tbsp ghee and 4 tbsp of refine oil in a heavy bottom pan. Once the oil is heated lower the flame to medium. Add the whole spices (cloves, cinnamon stick, bay leaves, green cardamoms) till it becomes little aromatic. Then add raisins and cashews. Make sure the flame is low otherwise the nuts will turn dark.
- Just sauté the nuts for 2 minutes and then add the drained rice.Next add turmeric for color. Saute the colored rice with whole spices and nuts for 3 to 4 minutes and add in the luke warm water.
- Now its time to add salt and sugar.(the quantity of sugar and salt can be adjusted as per taste)
- Bring the whole thing to a boil over high flame. Cover it with a lid and lower the flame to low. Cook for about 20 minutes until all the water has evaporated and the rice is fully cooked.
- At last add 2 more tbsp of remaining ghee for some extra aroma.
This content is accurate and true to the best of the author’s knowledge and is not meant to substitute for formal and individualized advice from a qualified professional.
© 2020 Urmi Sinha