- Food and Cooking»
- Main Dish & Side Dish Recipes»
- Beef Recipes
Beef Chili & Rice - Cooking with the Electric Pressure Cooker & Electric Rice Cooker - Meals in less than 30 minutes
Rate this Chili
Beef Chili & Rice
I love Chili on a cold Winter day!
Here is one of my favorite recipes that does not take all day to cook and little mess in the kitchen.
Of course you need to have the right kitchen tools and gadgets to make life easier.
The Electric Power Pressure Cooker and the Rice Cooker is a must have.
With these items you can make a hearty beef chili & rice in less than 30 minutes.
The easy clean up makes cooking an enjoyable experience. Especially with our busy life styles.
Pressure cookers will seal in all the vitamins, nutrients and flavors.
- 2 lbs ground beef 85% lean
- 4 cups crushed tomatoes
- 1//2 cup beef broth or stock
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1/3 cup dried red beans, soak beans overnight
- 1/3 cup dried black beans, soak beans overnight
- 1/3 cup dried navy beans, soak beans overnight
- 1/4 cup chili powder
- 1 tsp. cumin
- 1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper, or to taste
- 1 tsp. turmeric
- 1 tsp. ground coriander
- 1 tbsp. sea salt
- 1 tbsp. crushed red pepper flakes, or season to taste
- 1 tbsp. sugar
- 2 tbsp. grape seed oil
- cheddar cheese, for garnish
- sour cream, for garnish
- Package jasmine rice, cook to package instructions
A few tips for adding your favorite ingredients to your chili
1). One can of crushed tomatoes equals about one cup.
I like to use Hunt's diced tomatoes with green pepper, celery & onion.
2). For a spicier chili add diced Habanero peppers.
3). For chunkier chili add chopped celery and green bell peppers
Cooking instructions for Beef Chili & Rice using a Power Pressure Cooker
- Place 1/3 cup dried red beans, dried black beans and dried navy beans in a large bowl. Wash and rinse beans - using a strainer. Place the beans back into the large bowl add water to cover them and soak the beans overnight.
- Total cooking time for the chili is 36 minutes. Place the grape seed oil in the inner pot of the power pressure cooker. PRESS the Chicken/Meat button. Add ground beef and diced onions. Cook for approximately 5 minutes until the beef is browned. Add the spices and cook for 1 minute.
- Drain and rinse the beans that were soaking overnight. Add the remaining ingredients-Crushed tomatoes, beef stock and beans. Mix well.
- Place the lid on the Power Pressure Cooker, lock the lid and switch the pressure release valve to closed.
- Press the warm/cancel button.
- Press the Soup/Stew button and press the time adjustment button until you reach the 30 minute timer.
- Start preparing your rice. I personally enjoy the California Brown Jasmine rice. To Prepare in a rice cooker use same water and rice ratio. If the rice is still crunchy at the end of the rice cooker cycle add 1 to 2 Tbsp of water and cook a little longer.
- Tip: One cup of dried rice makes 2 servings.
- Once your power pressure cooker timer reaches 0, your cooker will automatically switch to keep warm. Switch the pressure release valve to open to allow the steam to escape. (Please make sure that the steam vents away from people and cabinets).
- When the steam is completely released you can remove the lid.
- Add cooked rice to a bowl top with chili and garnish with cedar cheese and serve.
- Great meal to warm you up during those cold winter days or to try at a chili cook off.
Articles about Arsenic in your rice and best cooking methods
- Yes, There Is Arsenic In Your Rice. Here's What You Need To Know | The Huffington Post
- Use This Cooking Hack to Reduce Arsenic Levels in Your Rice - Food - Health.com
The key is to soak the rice overnight, experts say, and to not let all the water evaporate while cooking.
- How to cook rice to reduce arsenic levels: You need to know this
HEALTHY eaters using rice as an alternative to roast potatoes or chips could be in danger of eating arsenic if they don’t cook it properly, experts have warned.
Pressure Cooker Reviews
- 10 Best Electric Pressure Cookers for 2016
A good electric pressure cooker can save any cook a lot of time. As a parent of five children time is at a premium. Here's my thoughts on my favorite pressure cookers of 2014 so far.
Related Article On How To Cook Beans In A Pressure Cooker
- How to Cook Beans in a Pressure Cooker
Learn how to cook beans in a pressure cooker. It's really easy and fast! Using a pressure cooker to make beans is a great time saver and keeps your kitchen from heating up when it's hot outside.
Rate the pressure cooker
Is the pressure cooker easy to use?
Rinse your rice - Rice contains Arsenic
Rice contains Arsenic - and should be eaten in moderation.
You can remove up to 60% to 82%of the arsenic by following the following cooking instructions.
- Rinse the rice before you cook using a fine screen strainer
- Soaking the rice overnight - can reduce the arsenic levels by 82%
- Cooking the rice with a 6 to 1 water and rice ratio and draining or straining the excess water
- Rinse cooked rice with hot water before serving
I have included links to articles about how to cook rice and what are the causes and reasons or Arsenic in your rice. The Huffington Post, Health.com
Simply buying organic rice does not solve the problem. Arsenic is a naturally occurring element that’s present in soil and rice seems to absorb the most.
You can still enjoy your rice lunch bowl. Just remember to cook the rice with a lot of water and moderate your intake.
Safety Tips when using Pressure Cookers
Here are a few safety tips to keep in mind when using the power pressure cooker.
While the Electric Power Pressure Cooker is safer than your Grandmother's stove top pressure cooker there are a few things to keep in mind.
Even though there are several safety features built in to your pressure cooker. I strongly recommend that you read your owners manual to The Electric Power Pressure Cooker XL and Rice cookers.
1). Do not let children near the pressure cooker during the cooking process.
2). When using the power pressure cooker place the cooker in a location in your kitchen that will allow the steam to vent away from people, appliances, cabinets, windows or any other item that can be damaged from releasing the steam.
3). NEVER fill the pressure cooker above the MAX fill line.
4). Keep hands away from vent value.
5). Unlike stove top pressure cookers the vent value will not rock and spray steam. The Electric power pressure cooker will hold all the steam inside the pot. If steam is in fact escaping during the cooking process the value is not in the proper position. Using an oven mitt - Carefully adjust vent value until steam is no longer spraying from the the lid.
6). The power pressure cooker has several built in safety features.
- LID SAFETY LOCK
- PRESSURE & TEMPERATURE SENSOR CONTROLS - To maintain even heat and pressure by automatically activating or deactivating the power supply.
- BACK-UP SAFETY RELEASE VALVE - If the temperature and pressure sensor malfunctions and the pressure builds beyond the maximum --the the back up will kick in and release the pressure.
- CLOG RESISTANT FEATURE - This prevents food from blocking the steam release port. Be sure so clean the port after each use.
- SPRING-LOADED SAFETY PRESSURE RELEASE - Should all safety features listed above fail, this “spring-loaded” device located beneath the heating element will automatically lower the INNER POT, causing it to separate automatically from the RUBBER GASKET This will enable the steam and pressure to automatically escape around the pot LID, avoiding a dangerous situation.
- TEMPERATURE CUT-OFF DEVICE - Should the unit malfunction and cause the internal temperature to rise beyond the “Safe” limit, this device will cut-off the power supply and will not automatically reset.
IMPORTANT: Always remove the Pressure Release Valve and clean the opening with pin to remove any blockage that might have occurred during the cooking process.
© 2017 Brigitte Thompson