- Food and Cooking»
- Main Dish & Side Dish Recipes
Beef and Cornbread Casserole
If you are looking for a simple, easy recipe for dinner tonight, then this beef and cornbread casserole may be just what you are looking for. It is a hearty meal with ground beef, corn muffin mix, onions, and a little seasoning. This recipe is adaptable as you can add other ingredients to make it all your own, such as jalapenos, sweet peppers, and other herbs and spices. There is minimal prep time and takes about 30 minutes to cook. It is sure to become a favorite for those with a busy schedule.
- 1 pound (0.5 kg) ground beef
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) salt
- 1/2 teaspoon (2.5 ml) black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon (2.5 ml) white pepper
- 2 (8.5 ounce) packages corn muffin mix
- 2 cups milk
- 2 medium eggs
- 1 (15 ounce) can creamed corn
- 2 -3 tablespoons (30-40 ml) jalapenos, chopped (optional)
- 1 1/2 cups shredded cheese
- Preheat oven to 350°F (177°C).
- Grease a 9x13 inch baking dish. Cooking spray does well for this step and takes less time.
- Slice the onion and then chop in a food processor or mini-chopper.
- (optional) Slice and core about 2 jalapenos, depending upon their size. Then chop in a food processor or mini-chopper. Remember, you only need about 2-3 tablespoons but you can add or reduce to taste.
- Cook ground beef, onions, and jalapenos in pan skillet on medium heat. Add salt, black, and white pepper. Cook until the ground beef is brown and the onions are translucent.
- Drain the ground beef and onions from any oils. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, empty two boxes of corn muffin mix. Add the milk and eggs. Mix well.
- Now add the creamed corn and mix until smooth.
- Fold in the ground beef mixture until mixed evenly.
- Pour evenly into the baking pan. Then top with shredded cheese.
- Place in the oven at 350°F (177°C) for 20 to 30 minutes or until the center is firm and completely cooked.
- Add some red chili pepper to give it even more of a kick.
- Consider adding some parsley, sage, or thyme to add more savory flavors.
- Don't like it spicy? Omit the jalapenos and consider using chopped sweet bell peppers instead.
- Don't have time to slice and chop the onion? Frozen chopped onions work just as well.
- Perhaps consider adding some fresh sliced or diced tomatoes. We prefer Roma tomatoes in our household.
- Instead of ground beef, consider shredded chicken, ground turkey, or ground lamb.
- If you can't find white pepper at your grocery store, consider looking at an international grocery store, such as an Indian or Mediterranean grocery store. If you still can't find it, feel free to omit it and use 1 teaspoon black pepper instead of a 1/2 teaspoon.
© 2015 L Sarhan