Beef and Pork Eggrolls
This is one of my family's favorite foods. We make them monthly. They're easy to make and they are easily altered to fit your taste. Definitely one of my favorite recipes.
Delicious with sweet chili sauce, sweet soy sauce, or plain soy sauce.
- 1 Pound Ground Beef, Regular fat ground beef gives best flavor
- 1 Pound Ground Pork
- 1 Large Yellow Onion, Thinly Sliced
- 4 Tablespoons Soy Sauce
- 1 Teaspoon Salt, Adjust to taste
- 1/2 Teaspoon Black Pepper, To Taste
- 4 Tablespoons Cooking Sherry
- 1 Teaspoon Ground Ginger
- 1 Large, firm head of cabbage, Thinly Shredded
- 1/4 Cup Water
- 1 Tablespoon Vegetable Oil
- 1 Teaspoon White Sugar
- Vegetable Oil For Frying
- 2 Packages Egg Roll Wrappers
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, brown beef and pork together. Once ground meat is brown turn heat down to medium-low and mix in the onion, garlic, 2 tablespoons soy sauce, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/2 teaspoon pepper, 2 tablespoons sherry, and ginger. Continue to saute until onions are tender. Transfer mixture to a large bowl an set aside.
- In a very large/deep pot (spaghetti pot works well) saute the cabbage and carrots with the water, 1 tablespoon oil, sugar, and remaining soy sauce, sherry, salt, and pepper over medium heat. Continue to saute until cabbage and carrots are crisp-tender, about 10 minutes. Add in your meat mixture and mix well. Turn the heat down to low and heat until warmed through.
- Fill each wrapper with a spoonful of the filling. Wrap according to the directions on the package. I lay out the wrapper on a large dinner plate and have one corner of the wrapper facing me. I then drop the filling towards the corner and roll once(keep it tight!) then bring over left corner, roll halfway and then fold over the right corner tightly and roll forward. I use a small spoon and dabble a bit of water/flour mixture on the top corner of the wrapper to keep it sealed.
- In a medium skillet add about 2-3 inches worth of vegetable oil and heat to 350. I know the oil is ready when I drop a tiny piece of egg roll wrapper in and it sizzles immediately.
- Fry 4-6 egg rolls at once. You know your oil is perfect when it only takes a few seconds to brown one side of the egg roll. Turn and brown quickly and remove. Place on wire rack to allow oil to drip. Keep warm. Serve immediately with your choice of dipping sauce (Sweet chili or soy sauce)
Browning beef and pork
Saute cabbage and carrots
© 2013 Dannell