- Food and Cooking»
- Main Dish & Side Dish Recipes
Bengali Style Chicken Kosha
Rate it here
Ask a bong about Chicken Kosha and you will know the status it holds in his or her heart. This is a popular and traditional dish of Bengal that salivates every mouth that has once tasted it with the mere utterance of its name. The chicken is marinated and cooked in the flavors of aromatic Indian spices which generates a carnival of tastes and flavors when the dish touches the tongue.
- 500 grams of chicken, cut into medium pieces
- Three tablespoons of curd
- One and half tablespoon of ginger garlic paste
- One medium sized tomato, pureed
- One medium sized onion, finely chopped
- Two teaspoons of garam masala powder
- Three small sticks of cinnamon
- Three green cardamoms
- Four cloves
- One teaspoon of turmeric powder
- Two teaspoons of chicken masala
- One and half teaspoon of red chili powder
- Two green chilies, whole
- Two dried bay leaves
- Two tablespoons of mustard oil
- Salt, to season
- Sugar, to season
- Water, as required to cook
- Take chicken pieces in a bowl and add curd, one tablespoon of ginger-garlic paste, chicken masala, turmeric powder, salt, mustard oil and chili powder to it. Marinate the chicken in this mixture of ingredients for half an hour.
- Heat mustard oil in a pan. Add bay leaves, cardamoms, cinnamon sticks and cloves to it. Once the cloves and cardamoms start spluttering, add onions. Saute the onions till translucent and then add pureed tomato. Stir for 10 seconds. Add half a tablespoon of ginger-garlic paste. Add chili powder, garam masala and one or two teaspoons of sugar. Stir the ingredients. Add a little chicken masala and then add the marinated chicken along with the spices and curd mixture. Cook until the chicken pieces are tender. Add water if required. Let the gravy be thick.
- Add two whole green chilies after you take out the curry from stove. Serve hot with Indian breads or steamed rice.