- Food and Cooking»
- Main Dish & Side Dish Recipes
Best Chicken Adobo Recipe
Filipino food is not typically something people crave to go eat. This is mostly because it isn't as popular as say, McDonald's. However, with this recipe, you will have your friends and family eager to try different types of Filipino food! Here is a simple recipe that will taste amazing!
- 8-12 pieces Chicken, Breast or Thigh
- 1/2-1 tsp. Minced Garlic
- 1/4 Onion, Chopped
- Approximately 1/4 cup Vinegar, Add to taste
- Approximately 1/4 cup Soy Sauce, Add to taste
- 6-8 oz glass Water
- Pinch Sugar
- Salt, Add to taste
- Pepper, Add to taste
- Capful Vegetable or Olive Oil
- A few Bay Leaves, (Optional)
- You will first need to heat a large pot on medium-high temperature. Once the pot is hot, coat the bottom with the vegetable oil.
- Next, add your chopped onions and garlic. Using a wooden utensil, mix the ingredients around to incorporate.
- Place the chicken (same side up so there's less confusion) into the pot to allow it to brown. You can turn down the heat to medium at this point because you do NOT want to cook the chicken all the way through yet. Flip the chicken pieces over occasionally to ensure even browning. In between flips sprinkle the pepper and salt on top of the chicken. Add bay leaves.
- Once the chicken appears to have a light brown color and the juices are beginning to flow out, go ahead and add your vinegar and soy sauce. Be sure to NOT pour the liquids directly on top of the chicken pieces so that a particular piece does not taste like it has more vinegar or soy sauce than the other.
- Continue to flip the chickens until they are cooked all the way through. Once the chickens are done cooking, taste the sauce and add more soy sauce or more vinegar depending on your own personal taste.
- About five minutes before the chicken is completely finished, place your pinch of sugar inside the water and stir until completely mixed. Pour the mixture into the pot. Again, being careful to not pour the liquid directly on top of any one piece.
- Stir the pot so that the liquids and chicken are thoroughly mixed together. You can taste the sauce again to check if anything needs to be added.
- When serving, you can put it on top of rice or leave it by itself!