- Food and Cooking»
- Culinary Arts & Cooking Techniques
Best Grilled Food Recipe Ideas: Food to Grill
Grilling Food is Popular and Special
Grilling is a method of cooking food over charcoal, wood, gas, over the stove or inside the oven. Grilled meat, fish, vegetable or fruit are popular because they gain distinctive flavors when cooked over extreme heat or hot flames. However, burnt or charred meat may form carcinogens.
Grilling is often associated with barbecue parties and other outdoor activities such as: camping, picnics, and beach or weekend family gatherings. Grilling is also being done now any time of the year, not only during summer. Almost every household owns charcoal or gas grills nowadays.
Grilled dishes for dinners or packed lunches are becoming everyone's favorite because they are easy to prepare, healthy and delicious.
Grilled meat or fish are often accompanied with green salads and cheese, or served over hot rice.
Grilling is Healthier Than Frying
When grilling is done correctly, the meat loses a lot of fat while cooking. Burnt meat is a known source of carcinogen, which may cause heart disorder. To avoid burning the food, it is always safe to start grilling over low heat.
Both gas and electric grills have controls. To control heat of charcoal, spread the hot coals thinly at the center. Rake the coals to maintain temperature.
Grilled Shrimp Greek Salad
- 4 tablespoons lemon juice, freshly squeezed
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon fresh oregano, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, finely minced
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes, cut into 2
- 1/2 English cucumber, sliced
- 1/2 small red onion, sliced thinly
- 1 pound shrimp (large-sized), shell and veins removed
- 2 loaves of pita without pocket (8-inch size)
- 1 large yellow bell pepper, top, bottom, and seeds removed
- 6 ounces feta cheese, cubed (1/2-inch size)
Must-Have Grill Utensils from Amazon
- Marinade from shrimp: whisk 2 tablespoon lemon juice, 1/2 tablespoon oregano, and half of garlic. Coat shrimp with lemon mixture and let stand at room temperature for about 10 minutes.
- Preheat grill. Brush oil over grill grates.
- Salad dressing: whisk 2 tablespoons lemon juice, 3 tablespoons olive oil, 1/2 tablespoon oregano, half of garlic, and salt and pepper to taste.Stir in tomatoes, cucumber, and onion. Set aside at room temperature.
- Lightly oil pitas and bell pepper on both sides. Season with salt and ground pepper. Grill bell pepper until softened (about 1/2 minutes on each side). Transfer bell pepper to wire rack to cool. Grill pita over glowing charcoals until light brown and slightly crisp (about 2 minutes on each side). Transfer pita to wire rack to cool.
- Grill shrimps on skewers, about 2 minutes on each side. Remove shrimps from skewers when slightly cool and place in a bowl.
- To make salad: break pitas into bite-sized pieces and chop bell pepper. Add to shrimps and feta cheese cubes. Season with salt and ground pepper. Drizzle salad dressing and toss gently to coat. Serve immediately.
Beef and Vegetable Kebab
- 1/2 cup brown rice, cooked in 2 cups water over high heat then low
- 4 ounces top sirloin (choice cut of beef)
- 3 tablespoons Italian dressing (fat-free)
- 1 medium green pepper, seeded and cut into 4
- 4 cherry tomatoes
- 1 small onion, coarsely chopped
Tips on Marinating:
- Marinating meat before grilling adds flavors and reduces formation of cancer-causing substances (carcinogens) on meat during grilling.
- Marinating meat also avoids burning and charring meat while grilling.
- In a non-stick saucepan, cook rice and water over high heat. Continue boiling until water is reduced. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer until water is absorbed and rice is tender and moist. Sprinkle small amount of water to keep rice from drying out. Transfer cooked rice to a small bowl and keep warm.
- Cut meat into uniform-sized cubes. Marinate in Italian dressing for 20 minutes or more, inside the refrigerator. Turn meat to coat evenly.
- Preheat grill. Position grill grate 4 to 6 inches away from hot charcoal.
- Skewer meat, green bell pepper, tomato and onion alternately to form kebab.
- Grill the kebabs on lightly-oiled grate for about 5 to 10 minutes, turning to avoid burning.
- Top kebab over warm rice. Serve hot.
Grilled Brown Sugar Pork Chops
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup apple juice
- 4 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- salt and ground pepper, to taste
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1/2 cup water
- 6 pork chops (boneless)
How to cook:
- Preheat an outdoor grill.
- In a saucepan, dissolve brown sugar, apple juice, oil, soy sauce, ginger, salt and ground pepper. Boil. Add dissolve cornstarch in water. Stir until sauce is thick.
- Place pork chops on lightly-oiled grill grate. Cook meat for 10 to 12 minutes on each side. Turning to avoid burning. Brush with sauce over pork chops just before removing from grill. Serve hot with remaining sauce.
- 6 chicken legs
- 1 1/2 cup ketchup, as needed
- 1/2 cup white wine vinegar
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoon grated lime peel
- 1 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 3/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground pepper
To keep your meat and fish juicy and tender inside, baste the meat all over with the marinade mix while grilling and until cooked.
Spread hot charcoal around the grill pit to avoid burning the meat on the center while grilling. High temperature tend to produce under-cooked yet burnt meat.
How to cook:
- Mix well ketchup, white wine vinegar, brown sugar, Worcestershire sauce, grated lime peel, dry mustard, garlic powder, salt and ground pepper.
- Place chicken legs on preheated and lightly oiled grill. Brush ketchup mixture over chicken while grilling. Turn chicken legs often to avoid burning. Chicken is cooked after 30 to 35 minutes; or when juices run clear when pricked with fork.