Best Recipe For Moist Banana Bread
Moist Banana Bread
The Best Moist Banana Bread, Really?
I am a trained chef and lifetime lover of cooking. I don't always need recipes when I cook but sometimes I like to reference one when making something I'm not experienced with. That is where this recipe comes from. I had a whole bunch, literally, of overripe bananas in my kitchen at home and wanted to make banana bread. I Googled banana bread and turned up the usual list of recipe returns with names like the best banana bread, moist banana bread and the best moist banana bread.
After looking over a few of these recipes I came to the conclusion that they were all missing one critical ingredient... moisture! Not one of these so-called moist banana bread recipes contained any added moisture other than mashed banana. The banana does add a good amount of moisture to the bread but I did not think it was enough on its own. It was at this point that I was ready to make my recipe. The other recipes supported my earlier thoughts on number of bananas, amount of flour, eggs and so forth so I went ahead with what my training had led me to consider... plus some form of liquid for added moisture.
Also, as an added attempt to ensure that my banana bread could be as moist and tender as it could be I used a secret weapon to mash my bananas. This weapon, really a tool, is a handy device that is more easily recognized as a ricer or foodmill. For those of you who don't know what that is here is a quick definition. A foodmill or rice is a hand held kitchen tool that pushes soft foods like cooked potatoes, other vegetables or soft fruit like bananas through a screen. The result is a smooth puree, one that easily mixes into batters without leaving any chunks. Ricers are also great for making mashed potatoes. Ricers make the fluffiest, softest mashed potatoes ever!
Optional Ingredients For Banana Bread
- Walnuts - raw, toasted or candied walnuts add a delicious flavor and texture to banana bread. Nuts can be added to the batter or sprinkled on top before baking. Pecans, hazelnuts and almonds are also all good choices for banana bread.
- Chocolate Chips - Milk, dark and white chocolate chips are a special treat in banana bread or banana muffins. Turns a delicious and healthy treat into dessert and will bring a smile to any loved ones face.
- Brown Sugar - Substitute brown sugar for all or part of the white sugar for a richer flavor. The caramel and molasses flavors will turn plain banana bread into bananas foster bread!
Ingredients For Buttermilk Banana Bread
- 5 Bananas, Mashed fine
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup butter,, one stick
- 1 cup sugar, white, brown or combination
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 tbls vanilla
- 1 tbls + 1 tsp baking powder
- 2 pinch salt
- 3 cups flour, Cake or AP
This Recipe Also Makes
- Banana Muffins - divide batter into muffin pans, filling each regular sized muffin about 2/3 full. Bake at 325F for about 45 minutes. Top with cream cheese frosting and candied nuts or served with fruit and cheese for breakfast.
- Banana Cookies - drop batter one spoonful at a time onto a baking sheet and bake at 350F until the edges brown, about 15 minutes. These are good with chocolate or cream cheese frosting. Decorate with sprinkles or holiday themes.
Instructions For Buttermilk Banana Bread
- Cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. To do this use the paddle attachment with your mixer.
- Add the eggs, one at a time. Allow the first egg to incorporate before adding the second egg. Keep your mixer on low speed while incorporating the eggs.
- Add the vanilla and butter milk to the mixing bowl. Stir it into the sugar, butter, egg mixture with the mixer on low speed. Then add the mashed banana, also mixing until fully incorporated.
- Sift together the flour, baking powder and salt. Pre heat your oven to 325F.
- Again with the mixer on low speed slowly add the dry ingredients. Add the flour all at once and only mix until the flour is mostly incorporated. At this point remove the bowl from the mixer and finish mixing by hand being very careful not to over mix. When all the flour is "wet" you are done.
- Split the batter between two pyrex or aluminum loaf pans that have been pre greased or sprayed with no-stick. Bake at 325F for about 1 hour 20 minutes, or until done in the center.