- Food and Cooking
Best S'mores in the World: Ooey Gooey Dessert Recipe
You Are Missing Out
For years people have bought graham crackers, marshmallows and Hershey's bars to make s'mores, especially for occasions such as camping. However, s'mores are not just for camping. They are for movie nights, gatherings and anytime in between.
But how? Roasting a marshmallow over a gas stove doesn't sound very tasty, or healthy for that matter. Well, before you get ahead of yourself and assume how this s'more is made, take a deep breath because I am about to blow your mind.
If you have been mashing a roasted marshmallow between a piece of chocolate and two graham crackers, you have never really had the joy of eating a really messy, really delicious s'more. Instead, we are going to melt everything together and make one big sticky, yummy, chocolatey, marshmallowy, crunchy slice of heaven.
Oh, and these are not just kitchen s'mores. You can definitely make these over a campfire with a simple grill great and pair of tongs or spatula. Pack the ingredients and some tinfoil and you will be in for a night of sugar highs and smiles.
- 1 Graham Cracker Sheet
- 1/2 Regular Size Hershey's Milk Chocolate Bar
- 1 Large Marshmallow
- 1 Square of Tin Foil
|Serving size: 1|
|Calories from Fat||81|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 9 g||14%|
|Saturated fat 4 g||20%|
|Unsaturated fat 1 g|
|Carbohydrates 43 g||14%|
|Sugar 23 g|
|Fiber 1 g||4%|
|Protein 4 g||8%|
|Cholesterol 5 mg||2%|
|Sodium 211 mg||9%|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|
- Snap one graham cracker sheet in half and place the chocolate and the marshmallow on top.
- Set the other half of the graham cracker on top of the marshmallow.
- Secure the s'more by wrapping it in tin foil. Make it tight enough to secure the s'more but not so tight that it busts the graham cracker.
- Heat a skillet on medium-low heat and place the s'more on the skillet. Cover and let sit for about 5 minutes before turning over and cooking for another 5 minutes.
- Peel one side of the tin foil ends open to check if the marshmallow is melted. If not, close it back up, flip it and cook for another minute or two.
- Once the marshmallow is soft and melty remove the s'more from the skillet with a spatula and allow to cool for about 1 minute on a plate.
- Remove foil carefully and devour!
A Heads Up...
Be cautious about how long you leave your s'more on the skillet. I ended up burning one side of my graham cracker. Still amazingly delicious and crunchy, but it would have been better if it wasn't darkened.
Also, the marshmallow and chocolate can be scalding hot so eat with caution and don't serve to children hot of the stove or the campfire.
Making these While Camping
- Be sure to flip them more often than every 5 minutes
- It's best to make them over hot coals and not big flames
- Have wet wipes or warm water and rags laying around for clean up. These are messy
My mom used to make these for us kids every time we went camping. I have only ever had a traditional s'more one time, and it was nothing like these. I could never go back. These will brighten any child's camping trip and it is likely to surprise and intrigue the adults too.
For more great camping tips and recipe ideas, visit my Hub, 10 Camping Tips and Tricks which includes creative ways to pack eggs, scavenger hunts for kids and the best way to keep bugs out of your tent.
Other Fun S'More Ideas
Okay, So I have a huge obsession with two things. Peanut butter or any nut butter for that matter, and cookies and cream. So, I have taken this dessert that I truly love and have decided to improve it. Here are a few fun changes you can make to your s'mores for a more complex flavor profile.
- Swap the Milk Chocolate bar for a Cookies and Cream bar
- Use 2 whole graham crackers, one whole bar of chocolate and three marshmallows for an XL S'more (These are for the man in my house)
- Add peanut butter to your s'more. Kind of like a Reese's
Try anything you want! Seriously, I think anything melted between two graham crackers that is sweet is going to taste amazing. For something healthier you could try fat free cream cheese with a little stevia and sliced strawberries. Peanut butter and jelly. Caramello bars. Get creative. A s'more doesn't have to be plain jane.