- Food and Cooking»
- Main Dish & Side Dish Recipes
Best Szechwan Meatballs Recipes
What Are Szechwan Meatballs?
If you are a foodie you might be aware of the ever-famous Szechwan cuisine. Many get to enjoy this type of food only at asian restaurants. You can prepare Szechwan recipes at home provided you are willing to spend some time at it. Szechwan meatballs take around 40 minutes to prepare -- hence the recipe cannot be termed as "fast and easy". You can reserve this treat for weekends when you are free and team them up with boiled rice and a yummy tomato salad.
I absolutely love Chinese food and the Szechwan meatballs recipe was perhaps one of the first Chinese recipes I experimented with. Care should be taken to prepare the sauce freshly whenever required. The uncooked meatballs can be stored by freezing them and they will last around 3 months this way.
Szechwan is a region in China which is famous for its cuisine. This cuisine (also called Szechuan cuisine or Sichuan cuisine) makes use of a variety of spices (most notably ginger) and is famous for its rich flavor.
On this page you will see a number of Szechwan recipes apart from a low salt Szechwan meatballs recipe which you are sure to love! Also, don't forget to drop a line in the comments section mentioning your own favorite Szechwan recipe.
The Best Szechwan Sauce
This spicy sauce will give the Szechwan meatballs its unique sweet and sour flavor. It is not a traditional Szechwan sauce because it is not made out of peppercorn. It is really spicy but only a dash of this Szechwan sauce is needed to make the meatballs yummylicious to the core!
- 90 g blanched almonds
- 450 g minced beef
- 1 tsp grated fresh ginger
- 1 crushed garlic clove
- 1/2 large green pepper -- seeded and chopped
- A dash of Szechwan sauce (Chilli or Tabasco sauce will also do)
- Soy sauce
- Oil for frying
- 120 ml vegetable stock
- 1 tbsp rice wine or white wine vinegar
- 2 tsps honey
- 1 tbsp sherry
- 1 tbsp cornflour
- 4 spring onions sliced diagonally
How To Prepare Low Salt Szechwan Meatballs
- On a grill pan, spread the almonds evenly. Grill them for around 3-4 minutes under low heat or until they are lightly toasted. In order to prevent them from burning you need to stir the almonds regularly.
- Chop the almonds coarsely using a sharp large knife.
- Next up, put these almonds into a large bowl. Combine them with the meat, ginger, garlic, green pepper, Szechwan sauce and 2 tbsps of soy sauce. Mix them all up well with a wooden spoon.
- Make small meatballs from this mixture while placing them on a lightly floured board.
- Heat little oil in a frying pan. Place half of the meatballs on this pan.
- Cook these meatballs for around 20 minutes. Keep cooking until they are well browned all over -- turning them over frequently.
- Transfer this set to a serving dish and you can cook up the remaining meatballs while the first set cools.
- Mix 3 tbsps of soy sauce, stock and vinegar into the frying pan and bring it to boil. Let the mixture boil for around 30 seconds.
- Add the honey and stir until dissolved.
- Blend the sherry and cornflour together in a small bowl and add this into the hot sauce. Cook, stirring all the time until thickened.
- Arrange these meatballs on a serving dish and sprinkle them with sliced spring onions. Pour the sauce over and then serve!
These meatballs are not only tasty but healthy as well - because they don't use any salt. The spicy nature of this dish means they require no salt.
Other Top Rated Szechwan Meatball Recipes
- Szechuan Noodles with Wontons and Meatballs - FoodBlogs.com
- Szechuan Lotus Root Meatballs Recipe by Asian Foods | ifood.tv
Szechuan Lotus Root Meatballs recipe from ifood.tv. In large bowl combine egg, lotus root, green onion, cornstarch, soy sauce, gingerroot or ground ginger, salt,
- Szechuan Braised Meatballs Recipe
I am always looking for quick and easy meals...this one is extra fast if you happen to have the meatballs already prepared in the freezer
The Best Szechuan Cookbook
This is a cookbook which is being loved by many! Arguably the most popular Chinese cookbook out there. Mrs. Chaing gives you a variety of scrumptious Szechwan recipes which you are sure to love. Enjoy!
Try Some Of These Other Szechwan Recipes While You're At It. 1) Szechuan Green Beans
Szechuan Pork Recipe
Szechuan Chicken Soup Recipe
Szechuan Style Tofu
Szechuan Fried Chicken
- 5 Delicious, Easy-to-make, Healthy Kerala Breakfast Recipes
If you are on the lookout for some new breakfast recipes - why not try one of these South Indian delicacies? They are healthy, easy-to-make, and super delicious!
Low Salt Snack
- Low Salt Spiced Nuts Recipe
Do you have a party coming up? How about preparing some low salt spicy nuts for your guests to nibble on? Learn how you can prepare your own healthy snack.
You Might Also Be Interested In:
- Top 10 Lip Smacking Photos of Sandwiches
Some really yummy sandwich photos. Want to try them out as well? No problem, the recipe link is provided below each photo. Feeling too lazy to cook? Then you can try one of these recipes out. They're lip smacking and do their job pretty well of satia