Best Solution to overcome the Bitter Taste of Bitter gourd which is full of Nutritious
What is bitter gourd?
Bitter gourd, also called bitter melon or bitter squash is a tropical, long warty green colour vegetable.
It has been used as a herbal medicine in Asian and African cultures for centuries. It controls the blood sugar and Insulin levels of the body and help diabetic patients. You can read a good comprehensive list of benefits of bitter gourd here.
This vegetable is a good source of iron, calcium, phosphorus and vitamin B.
Chinese people treat this as a fruit and eat it raw with their daily meals and it makes them a healthy nation. People in Africa, India and Sri Lanka use this as a vegetable and cook as a curry and eat with their main dishes such as dosai, rice and etc.
How to eat without feeling the extreme bitter taste?
We all know bitter gourd is a very healthy food that we should add to our meals. But that bitterness makes everyone away of it. Specially the kids never want to taste bitter gourd due to the bitter taste. So how can you get rid of the bitterness. Deep frying and eat it as a salad and no one will even feel any bitter taste. My kid who is so specific about taste never complained about any bitter taste and in fact she loved deep fried bitter gourd salad.
Deep-frying the thinly sliced rounds of bitter gourd is a heavenly side dish for rice.
How to deep fry:
- Wash bitter gourd and towel dry the water.
- Using a sharp knife sliced thin rounds of bitter gourd. (about 3 mm)
- Add garlic powder, onion powder, salt, turmeric powder and Chile powder and mix well.
- Boil some cooking oil in a frying pan and add the bitter gourd rounds when the oil is bubbling.
- Deep fry for about 5 minutes until you get a nice slightly brown colour. Use a kitchen towel to drain oil from fried bitter gourd.
- Make a tomato salsa. Cut Tomatoes, green chile, onions and mix together with lime and salt for your taste.
- Combine the deep fried bitter gourd rounds with the tomato salsa and it’s a heavenly dish.
You can keep deep fried bitter gourd for about 1 month in refrigerator .
Goes well with Rice, bread or just as a simple salad.
There is a belief that bitter gourd could react negatively for pregnant women and patients who go through Ayurvedic medicine.
- More thinner the biter gourd slices would be better for deep frying.
- After cutting thin slices soaking in salty water for about reduce the bitterness
- Lighter bitter gourd has less bitterness than the dark colour bitter gourds
- To keep the fried bitter gourds for few days keep it in a air tight container
Try this dish at least once in your life time and you will love it. It is heavenly and after all its very healthy for your body.