- Food and Cooking»
- Cooking Ingredients»
- Vegetable Ingredients
Black Bean Casserole
A good source of protein
I have always loved beans as an adult. Any kind of beans. You can do many things with beans from making side dishes to a main course. When I was a child, my mother cooked a lot of high carb meals because we didn't have much money and it was enough to feed us. At the time I wasn't thinking about how good beans were for me, I turned away from these delicious protein packed jems for a peanut butter and jelly sandwhich.
What I did not realize as an adult, these would sustain me when I became a vegan. I had lapband surgery in 2009 and meat became hard for me to eat. It would get stuck in the stoma of my lap band and the pain was awful. That is how I learned how good beans were. You can take some beans, chicken stock and seasonings of your choice and make the most appetizing side dish you will love.
Protein packed vegan dish
Black Bean Casserole
A delightful Vegan meal that anyone would love
This lovely dish came from my own kitchen. I love preparing Vegan meals that are packed with protein, low in fat, and reasonable amounts of carbs. I was looking through recipes on line one day and found a black bean casserole recipe but feel mine has a more richer flavor then the one I found. Not only can this be used as a casserole, but it also makes a great dip just the way it is. I hope anyone that makes this enjoys it as much as my family does.
The greatest thing about this recipe is that you can vary any ingredients to your satisfaction. You could add some ground beef or other vegetables if you like. There are no limitations as to what you can do with this recipe.
A nice bean wrap
- 1 cup roasted garlic and olive oil couscous, A Taste of East makes this product
- 2 15oz cans black beans washed and drained
- 1/2 cup chopped peppers
- 1/2 cup chopped scallions
- 1/2 cup to a cup kraft fat free cheddar cheese
- 1 cup mild Salsa
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup Fat free mozzarella cheese
- 2 tblspoons Sour Cream
- 1 tsp chopped scallions
- cooking spray
- Make couscous according to package directions. I used a Taste of East box mix. Takes less then five minutes.
- Add all ingredients except eggs and salsa and mozzarella cheese.
- Add one table spoon of fresh chopped garlic, and pepper. I did not use salt because the couscous is salty enough.
- Mix Salsa and eggs together in a seperate bowl then pour on top of the bean mixture. Do not mix it together.
- Pour in a 9x 12 baking dish that is sprayed with cooking spray and top with mozzarella cheese.
- Bake on 350 degrees for 30 minutes
- Let dish sit for 15 minutes before serving
- Top with sour cream and scallions for garnish
Was becoming a vegetarian easy for me?
I am not going to lie about it, there is nothing wrong with a nice T bone steak fresh off the grill. I love beef. I could waller in beef for all I care about it. But when the time comes you can't digest it what are you going to do sit and cry or are you going to change your diet.
I am sure the second would just become natures. Here are some facts about beans. Some of the best food sources of legumes are black beans, navy beans, pinto beans, kidney beans, white beans, lima beans, garbanzo beans (chickpeas), split peas, lentils, soybeans (edamame), and black-eyed peas.
Edamame is one of my most loved beans. They taste good with a little sea salt and can fill that void between meals. Most of them come in a shell so that will keep your hands busy as well.
The world of wonderful beans
There are many vegan recipes on many recipes sights. I am learning my way around making new recipes that my pallete chooses to enjoy. You don't have to be a vegetarian to eat beans. They make a great addition to any meal you prepare.