- Food and Cooking»
- Main Dish & Side Dish Recipes
Black Pasta with Ricotta
This is designer pasta --- which is coloured with squid or cuttlefish ink --- at its most dramatic, the kind of dish you are most likely to see at a fashionable Italian restaurant. Serve it for a smart party supper. It will create a great talking point.
If you prefer an easy recipe change, use green spinach-flavoured pasta or red tomato-flavoured pasta in place of the black pasta. Alternatively, for an equally dramatic contrast, try magenta pasta, flavoured with beetroot, or golden brown wild-mushroom pasta.
- Cook time: 9 min
- Ready in: 9 min
- Yields: Serves 4
- 300 grams (11 oz) black pasta, dried
- 60 ml (4 Tablespoons) ricotta cheese
- 60 ml (4 Tablespoons) extra virgin olive oil
- 1 red chilli, small fresh
- 1 small handful of basil leaves, fresh
- black pepper, ground
|Serving size: 255|
|Calories from Fat||63|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 7 g||11%|
|Saturated fat 4 g||20%|
|Unsaturated fat 1 g|
|Carbohydrates 44 g||15%|
|Sugar 6 g|
|Fiber 4 g||16%|
|Protein 15 g||30%|
|Cholesterol 20 mg||7%|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|
- Cook the pasta in large pan of lightly salted, boiling water for about 8-10 minutes, until tender but still firm to the bite.
- Meanwhile, put the ricotta in a bowl, season with salt and pepper to taste and use a little of the hot water from the pasta pan to mix it to a smooth, creamy consistency.
- Drain the pasta. Heat the olive oil gently in a clean pan and add the pasta with the chilli and salt and pepper to taste. Toss quickly over a high heat to combine.
- Divide the pasta equally among four warmed bowls, then top with the ricotta cheese. Sprinkle with the basil leaves and serve immediately. Each diner tosses their own portion of pasta and cheese.
Copyright 2012 by RASO.