- Food and Cooking»
- Main Dish & Side Dish Recipes
Braised Lamb Shank Osso Bucco Recipe
Osso Bucco is a dish that is often seen in many fancy Italian restaurants. It slow cooks to maximum tenderness and flavour, and is a perfect warm and heart meal on a cold winter day. The presentation is also beautiful, as the vibrant colours really make this dish one of the most appetizing meals you can make. Serve this dish will a crusty loaf of bread to soak up all the delicious sauce that has slow simmered with the braising meat. Not only is this dish a sure winner for any dinner party, but surprisingly it's also very easy to make - just don't tell your quests.
- 4 lamb shanks, thawed
- 1 large carrot, chopped
- 2 stock celery, chopped
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed and chopped
- 1 jar tomato paste, small
- 1 can whole tomatoes
- 1 cup condensed beef broth
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 tsp Italian spice mix
- 5 sprigs fresh rosemary
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/2 bottle dry red wine
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees celcius.
- Heat olive oil in deep heavy bottomed oven-friendly pot on medium-high heat. (I love my dutch oven!)
- Dredge lamb shanks in flour, shake off excess. Brown meat on all sides in hot oil, about 10 minutes. Remove meat from pot, and set aside. (Crispy edges is good - it adds great texture to the finished dish)
- Add chopped carrot, celery, onion, and spices to oil and meat drippings. Cook until vegetables begin to caramelize, about 8 minutes. Stir often.
- Add tomato paste, canned tomatoes, and vinegar to vegetable mixture, stir to combine. De-glaze pan by scraping the bottom of the pot to loosen any bits stuck to the pan.
- Return browned lamb shanks to pot, and stir to combine.
- Add condensed beef broth and red wine to mixture, and cook over medium-high heat for about 10 minutes, or until reduced slightly.
- Cover pot with lit, and cook in oven for 2.5-3 hours.
- Serve lamb shanks with lots of sauce on its own, or over a risotto or potato dish that will soak up the sauce.