Brandy Snaps Recipe
Making Homemade Brandy Snaps
For those who like a rather simple though elegant dessert to add to the menu, homemade Brandy Snaps are just the ticket.
See my flavor substitutions at the end for ways to liven up the cookie and make several kinds if you're so inclined, combining complementary flavors.
For instance, chocolate and raspberry whipped cream would be a delightful filling for Brandy Snaps though citrus Chantilly Cream of any kind would be a wonderfully light, tart dessert on a hot summer evening.
Surprisingly easy to make, Brandy Snaps can be made any number of ways, with molasses and brown sugar or the lighter recipe that follows.
If you find that you like making this simple dessert, perhaps investing in a cannoli maker to wrap the cookies around would be a gadget worth having.
Whatever way you make these delectable, lacy cookies though--you're sure to have a hit when you serve them up for dessert.
Ingredients for Brandy Snaps
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, cubed
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons light corn syrup
- 2/3 cup unbleached flour
- 2 teaspoons flavored brandy or plain brandy
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 4 cups whipping cream
- 1-3/4 cups cups powdered sugar
- dash almond or vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup plain brandy or flavored brandy
- grated chocolate (optional)
- sprinkle of nut meal (optional)
|Serving size: 1 cookie w/o chocolate or nuts|
|Calories from Fat||81|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 9 g||14%|
|Saturated fat 5 g||25%|
|Carbohydrates 9 g||3%|
|Protein 1 g||2%|
|Cholesterol 31 mg||10%|
|Sodium 9 mg|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|
Instructions for Brandy Snaps
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line several cookie pans with parchment paper. Set aside.
- Combine butter, sugar and corn syrup in a small saucepan. Cook and stir over medium heat until the butter has melted. Remove from heat. Stir in brandy, flour, and ginger.
- Measure out by teaspoonful. Place 3 at a time 3 inches apart on parchment paper. Bake at 350 degrees for 7 to 8 minutes or just until golden brown.
- Cool the cookies for 30 to 45 seconds. Quickly loosen each cookie and curl the cookie around a thick handled kitchen utensil (such as a large wooden spoon). Or use a cannoli maker and wrap the cookie around in the same manner.
- If the cookies become too cool and will not shape, return them to the oven for roughly 1 minute or until they soften. As you finish curling each cookie, place on a wire rack to cool.
- For filling, beat cream in mixing bowl with beaters until it just begins to thicken. Add the powdered sugar, dash of vanilla and brandy. Beat the cream until stiff peaks form.
- Just before serving, use an icing piping bag (or a ziplock bag with 1 corner cut off) to fill the cookies with the whipped cream mixture. Sprinkle ends with chocolate or nut meal if desired.
Step by Step Photo Guide to Make Brandy Snaps
Fill Your Brandy Snaps with Chantilly Cream
There are a lot of different Chantilly Cream recipes out there. Substitute any one of these for the whipped cream filling.
Here are just a few of my delicious favorites:
- Caramel Chantilly Cream
- Chocolate Chantilly Cream (either semi-sweet or cocoa)
- Lemon Cloud Chantilly Cream
- Butterscotch Chantilly Cream
- Brown Sugar Cinnamon Chantilly Cream
- Strawberry Key Lime Chantilly Cream
- Raspberry Chantilly Cream
- Orange Cloud Chantilly Cream
- Salted Peanut Butter Chantilly Cream
Another option is to create your own favorite flavor of whipped or Chantilly cream and use it as ingredients are available seasonally.
Pair different flavors of brandy with complementary extracts or flavorings for a unique and refreshing taste.
If calories are an issue, use less fat whipping creams or low-calorie whipped cream substitutes or sugar substitutes.
A little imagination can go a long, long way with this easy recipe. Let your taste buds be your guide and create your own special Brandy Snaps recipe!