- Food and Cooking»
- Dessert Recipes
There is an Italian cookie called Bruta ma Buona. It means ugly but good. That sort of described this cookie. It's not really ugly but not pretty like other Christmas cookies that are decorated and made into different shapes and sparkle. These cookies are covered with bread seeds. It doesn't sound like it, but they add to the goodness of the cookie.
Buttery and soft inside, these cookies have a lot of flavor. They are actually the favorite of a lot of people in my family. They are also good for children when mothers don't want them to have too much sugar. No icing on these cookies, but they are still sweet.
A lot of my cookie recipes come from my husband's side of the family. As I mentioned before, they are from Sicily. All of the cookie recipes I got from them are also traditional wedding cookies as well as for Christmas and any occasion. The reason is they make a lot of cookies for big occasions. Of course, you could always cut the recipes in half for everyday use.
One of the nice things about this cookie recipe, I think anyway, is the fact that you don't use beaters. You mix everything with your hands, so no beaters to wash. The longest part of this recipe is rolling them in the breadseeds before you bake them. Otherwise, it doesn't take long to make the batter. Try it, you'll like it.
- After shaping the cookie and rolling it in the seeds, roll them back and forth between your palms so the seeds stay on the cookie.
- The color of the cookie after baking should be light, so don't think it's not done if they are not darker.
- After the flour is mixed in, it should resemble cornmeal.
Photos of baking process for Breadseed Cookies
Shaping and Size
- These cookies are made into an oval shape.
- You can make these cookies bigger or smaller. I found out that the bigger ones are softer inside.
Bake at 400 degrees
- 2 cups butter, room temperature
- 2 1/4 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 heaping teaspoons baking powder
- 5 eggs
- 1/2 cup milk
- 7 1/2 cups flour, unsifted
- 1-1/2 cups bread seeds
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Cream together with hands the butter , sugar and vanilla.
- Add the flour and baking powder mixing it all together with your hands until it is all incorporated. It should resemble corn meal
- Beat the eggs and milk together in another container. Make a well in the middle of the flour mixture and add the eggs and milk, mixing it all together, again with your hands.
- Pinch off a little piece of the dough and roll it between your hands in an oval shape and roll it around in the bread seeds that are in another dish.
- Place the cookies in an ungreased cookie sheet. Be careful when you move the full cookie sheet, the cookies will move around real easily.
- Bake for 10 minutes.