Buckeyes Candy Recipe
Buckeyes Candy Recipe - A Great Holiday Recipe
Even though I was raised in Ohio until the age of 12, I had never seen Buckeye Candy until I was an adult living in Michigan. They were being sold at a craft fair and they amazed me, because they looked like the real thing.
My Grandparents had a buckeye tree in their front yard in Ohio. The trees are huge. When the buckeyes dropped, it was pure excitement for us kids. They were so unique, that they were real prizes to us.
We tried making necklaces out of them, but because the buckeyes are too large for beads, they were just toys. Some of the Catholic nuns in town made huge rosaries out of them. It was fun tossing them like a ball.
This candy recipe will look exactly like a buckeye. The taste is like a peanut butter cup. The peanut butter makes it healthy and the chocolate makes it a treat. My sister makes dozens of these each year and gives them as presents for Christmas.
- Cook time: 15 min
- Ready in: 15 min
- Yields: 72
Rate this Recipe
- 1-16 oz box confectioners sugar
- ½ cup margarine softened
- 1-18 oz jar creamy peanut butter
- 1-12 oz pkg semisweet chocolate morsels
- 1 inch square of paraffin (type used in sealing jelly found at any grocery store)
1. Combine sugar, margarine, and peanut butter in a large mixing bowl. Beat until the mixture is blended well and begins to cling together.
2. Roll the mixture into ¾” balls, placing the balls on waxed paper.
3. Melt the chocolate morsels and paraffin in the top of a double boiler.
4. Stick a toothpick in one of the peanut butter balls and dip the ball in the warm chocolate so that all, but the tip of the ball is covered. Let the excess chocolate drip back into the pan. Place on the wax paper and remove the toothpick.
5. Repeat this process until all of the peanut butter balls have been dipped.
6. Pinch the toothpick holes closed and smooth tops with your fingers.
- Peanut Butter Fudge Recipes
Once at year, at Christmas I make several batches of fudge. I scour everywhere for new and different recipes to try. Here you'll find some good peanut butter fudge recipes, plus some tips that will help you make some delic