- Food and Cooking»
- Main Dish & Side Dish Recipes
Butter Chicken: The Recipe
Butter Chicken is the yummy-est, spicy-est chicken on the face of this planet. Marinated in herbs and lemon, with a thick and creamy curry, where flavors melt into each other, merge and divide in the mouth, giving the perfect sensory stimulation to win your heart over. It can be eaten with rice of any kind or with flat bread. It all depends on your preference. But if you haven't tried Butter chicken yet?! Then Oh My God! you are missing out big time. Take my advice and cook this Indian wonder, please!!!! I promise it will be the most gratifying, finger-lickin'-amazing meal of your entire life...
- Boneless chicken breast/ thigh meat- 1 kg cut into medium sized cubes.
- Lemon juice- 1/2 cup
- Tandoori spices- 1 packet (These premixed spices can be bought from any Indian or Pakistani store)
- Yogurt- 1/2 kg
- Tomato paste- 2 cups. ( You can buy the paste OR make your own with peeled and seeded tomatoes)
- Crushed Red chillies- 1/4 tsp-1/2 tsp if you like it hot!
- Garam Masala (Indian/Pakistani mix of common herbs and spices; contains cardamom, cumin seeds, cinnamon etc)-1 tsp
- Whole black peppers- 3-4
- Coriander seeds- 1 tsp
- Garlic paste- 1Tbsp, or powder- 1 tsp
- Ginger paste- 1 tsp or powder- 1/2 tsp
- A carton of cream (about 1 cup)
- Honey- 1 Tbsp
- Butter- a knob
- Salt to taste
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil or any other Cooking Oil- 2-3 Tbsp (as per your preference)
- Fresh coriander leaves for garnish.
- A large bowl for mixing. Another for marinating the chicken.
- A large wok or sauce pan.
How to Prepare:
- Marinate the boneless chicken in lemon juice for half an hour.
- Mix the Tandoori Masala, Garam Masala and crushed Red chillies into the yogurt while the chicken soaks in the lemon.
- Pour the spiced yogurt over the chicken.
- Let stand for another 30 minutes.
- Place the oil on medium heat and cook the garlic and ginger paste along with the coriander seeds and black peppers. If you are using powders instead of pastes just fry the coriander seeds and black peppers to flavor the oil for approximately a minute.. Be careful: the seeds pop on heating.
- Pour in the tomato paste and let simmer with the garlic and ginger paste, coriander seeds and black peppers, till the oil separates.
- Now dump in the contents of the bowl into the pan, cook without the lid for a few minutes before covering and cooking till the chicken is tender and the oil has separated again. Do this on low to medium heat. It takes about 15 minutes when covered. Uncovered it can be quicker. Both can be done. I use the lid so that the chicken is thoroughly flavored.
- Remove from heat. Add honey and butter and a tsp of lemon juice. Mix the cream into the curry.
- Garnish with cut or whole fresh coriander leaves,